Good Deal? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Good Deal?

I want to buy this bike wrecked bike....

It's an 04 GSX 600 with 6000 miles. It was looped.

Couple of things need to be changed, possibly total cost coming to around 1500 if all the parts were coming from Suzuki. Frame is straight, forks are straight. Defintely needs new fairings.

$2500

Deal or no Deal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:49 PM

depends on what it really needs and what you want to do with the bike. If you build it back to stock, it'll cost a bit of money. Ebay is your friend.

This year, I bought a 2004 600RR for 2k and I also bought a 2005 gixxer 600 for 2400. I'm finally getting the gixxer rebuilt now that its summer timer and I have more time and money to work on my projects. Post some pics and I'll tell you if its worth it. But right now. 2500 for a working wrecked bike is a pretty good deal. I've been looking at parts for 04-05 gixxer 600/750's for the past 3 months, so I have a general idea of what parts have been going for. Also, its the little stuff that adds up in projects.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 05:03 AM

clean or salvage title? that makes a big difference too. a crashed bike that the insurance company salvaged already...its an ok deal ive seen better. if its a guy that crashed it and didnt go through insurance and still has a clean title, then its a great deal.

although if you plan on building it back to stock, and its a salvage title, its very cheap and very easy to have it inspected and the title back to a "rebuilt salvage" title, which is 100% street legal.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 06:20 AM

Track bike OOOhHHH ya
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick responses!

Here's the info.

It is a clear title.

Major things that need to be replaced:
- The Front Wheel. One of the spokes has a crack in it.
- The Brake Resovoir that goes near the accelerator. Looks like cup is still there but something is defintely missing so I was going to replace that whole piece.
- Last major piece, it's leaking something. I don't know what the part is but it's on the left hand side lower. I've included a picture and circled it. (the pic is a honda but it looks exactly the same to me...)

The fairings just have rash on 'em. Part of the tail piece broke off because it looped. Speedometer is out of place but looks like it's still connected. Windshield is cracked.

Pretty much it.....

So what do you think? I'm pretty set on getting it. Do all these things look costly? I know that the OEM wheel is like $500.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (572.1 KB, 38 views)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 03:43 PM

what your talking about is the stator cover. Inspect the bike very closely. Make sure that the engine isn't cracked. Other then that, it looks like a good deal. Front rims go between 150-300 without rotors. Also, check to see if the rotors need to be replaced since the front rim is cracked.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

what's the stator cover hold? what's it leaking from there?

...any tips on making sure the engine isn't cracked? from what I could tell by looking at it without the fairings, it looked okay.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 06:59 PM

take a few pics and post it on here. When I dropped my RR and cracked the stator cover really hard, it cracked the engine block. Stator covers are about 60-80 bucks new on ebay or bikebandit. The stator is how the bike makes electricity. Its kinda like an alternator.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 09:22 PM

If its just rash one the fairing, sand it off and repaint it. If you have the time to rebuild the other parts, you should just save yourself some money and fix the fairings yourself. If you order new fairings, they will come without paint, or if their off ebay they will most likely come with rash already. About the stator, if I'm not mistaken thats oil coming out of it but I'm not positive. Make sure that nothing else is cracked, like if the stator cover went, then alot of pressure must have gone to the engine and could have cause problems.

Good luck,
Sepias
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 05:33 AM

its the stator cover, and its leaking oil. if you plan to replace that yourself...well, i just wouldnt. the stator (generator or alternator in lehmans terms) is normally attached to the cover in some way, and if you fuck that up you have a lot more expensive parts to fix. so either be extremely careful and take your time, or have an experienced person help you do it, or have a mechanic do it. i had mine done at the shop on my 636 when it was leaking, ill do almost anything myself on my bike but i didnt wanna even mess with that...

but hell i think this is a great deal with clean title and all, id say go for it for sure. you will put $1000-1500 into it, and then have a sweet newer bike for $4g. id say go for it for sure, sounds like a good deal and not a lot of work really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode