Deployment - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Deployment

hey guys im going to be deploying for 4-5 months and im wondering if there is anything special i need to do in order to keep the bike up. it will be in a storage unit, and the wife is going to start it once a week or so, but should i just disconnect the battery instead and not have her start it? plus anything else i need to know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 01:40 PM

Bike storage

For only a 4-5 month period, I would just put some fuel stabilizer in the tank and connect a charger (such as Battery Tender) to the battery. I store my bike that way over the winter for about that long and never have any problems. I start my bike every now and then as well, but there is some debate on whether this is good or bad.

Good luck on your deployment. Keep your head down if you're going to Iraq! God Bless.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

yea im going to iraq... right in the middle of shit. and ive heard of a battery tender where can i get one, as this is short notice and im leaving in like a couple days if not sooner

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
walmart

walmart sells one pretty close to the battery tender out here its a bell one I think. its like $19.00 bucks. I use it on my four wheelers and never had a problem so far.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:12 PM

Be safe over there...Sounds like you have a handle on the bike storage
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

so do i take the battery out of the bike? and hook it up to the tender or does it hook up to the bike/battery as one? wouldnt it need power this way? because my storage does not have power
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 04:43 PM

No just buy a small container of fuel stabalizer & READ the instructions for most are aimed at large trucks. Put in about half of what is required then ride down the closest fuel station fill up & the fuel will be stirred around propely. Put in the reaming few ounces & that is it. Bar putting the bike on its prop stand.

Since there is no electricity then you will have to remove the battery & plug it up at home in probably a cooler part of the home. The BT will charge, then put the battery on storage kick in again when the battery shows it is dropping, onh storage again & charge during said time.

When you are back all you have to do is pop the battery back in & hook it up, check your tyre pressure, dust off the bike, hit the starter & the bike will start up like it was to-morrow.

Last edited by Smitty; 05-22-2006 at 04:46 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 06:23 AM

Hey man we good luck over there. Give those bastards this for me and maybe one of these
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 10:15 AM

Re: Deployment

Quote:
Originally posted by SkinnyJ
hey guys im going to be deploying for 4-5 months and im wondering if there is anything special i need to do in order to keep the bike up. it will be in a storage unit, and the wife is going to start it once a week or so, but should i just disconnect the battery instead and not have her start it? plus anything else i need to know?
you don't need to start the bike every week, you'll just drain the battery. your bike needs to be running over 2000 rpm to even get a charge. you can put fuel stabilizer or you can do the cheap thing and just drain your tank. when you come back your going to need an oil change because you'll build up diposits from old oil. as for the battery, take it out of the bike. most bikes have a constant running clock on it. that negative charge is enough to drain the battery if it's not ran for 4-5 months. and you should always have a battery charger anyways. good luck over there man, i just came back.

SEMPER FI
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 11:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
DRAIN TANK?

wouldnt draining the tank actully cause condensation in it? I always thought when you did the fuel stabilizer you should also have the tank as full as possible to not have condensation. course this is just what Ive done cause thats what I was always told. could be BS for all I know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode