More tire talk - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

More tire talk

Hi all,
I will be looking at getting some new rubber in the near future and wanted some opinions. I've read a lot of topics on here after searching, but for this time around I would appreciate if only the people who have actually tried various tires on the same bike would comment(for hopefully accurate comparisons)

First off the bike is an 04 ZX6RR. It came with Bridgestone Battlax's: 019 on the front and 012 on the rear. I just hit 12 000 km (~7300 miles) and am down the the wear bar in most places on the rear with the front beginning to cup slightly. Most of my riding is on the highway at close to highway speeds, 100-110 km/h. There are not a lot of twisty roads around save a few sections here and there. Also, rain will not stop me from going out so some miles will be in the wet.

I called one place last week about some new ones and the guy I spoke with recommended Metzeler (not sure which model) based on the wet traction, price and durability. He said I could expect about the same mileage out of them as my current tires, or more. I have heard from a few people however that Metzeler's are grippy, but not very durable, and therefore not sure if I should take this advice?

So, any recommendations as far as switching? I have nothing else to compare to so maybe the stock tires are pretty good and I should buy the same models again? Fire away!

Last edited by jeffmorton; 05-22-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:37 AM

I'm finishing up a Metzler M1 on my rear. It is very grippy and gets decent milage. I've got about 5k miles (about 8000 kilometers) out of it as my rear I still have anouther easy 1000 miles that I can go on them though. I do a good bit of hard riding, and I exceed highway speeds every now and then as well. I've also ridden in over an inch of standing water with the M1 and had no problems. I have a Dunlop 208 on the front and don't like it to much though, it just doesn't like to warm up and tends to slip. I would look into the M1 tires ore even the M3's which are suppose to be even better. I'm planning on getting a set of M3's as my next pair, but I have yet to try then. I have only heard good things about them though.

Sepias
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 10:20 AM

Hi jeffmorton-

My absolute favorite preference has been Metzeler tires for years. Supple on the road, very respectable wear characteristics, and the hands-down winner in rainy conditions due to their perfectly-formulated silica content.

One of the reasons that I believe they produce such a great motorcycle tire is because that is all that they do. No engineering of car, truck, ATV, or bicycle tires as supplemental lines of business. All their research and development is targeted specifically towards the motorcycle market.

~ Blue Jays ~

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Blue Jays,
I've seen in other posts as well that you have a preference for Metzeler. Maybe I missed it but did you ever mention a model? I was reading about the M1 and M3's, but maybe the Z6 would be more suitable for my riding? What do you run and does your riding style sound similar to what I described?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 08:55 PM

I do about the same type of riding as you. I switched over from Bridgestone 010's to Metz Z6's and man I love them. The grip is good for my type of riding and they wear reasonablly. I get maybe 6000 miles on them. When I do hit up the twisties I can run them as hard if not harder than the bridgestones.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:19 PM

Hi jeffmorton-

My motorcycle definitely gets a fair share of straight highway miles either to get to the twisties or to visit friends across state lines. My most-recent Metzeler tires were the wonderful ME Z4 which were excellent. Predictable, durable, communicative, and confidence-inspiring in wet conditions. Out of the last five sets of tires, three of them have been Metzelers.

I was forced to switch to Dunlops when I picked-up some large screws in my tires hundreds of miles from home and had failure. Had a local shop install the only D208s they had in stock. They're OK at best...but can't hold a candle to the Metzelers. They almost seem hard and loud compared to the supple Metzeler rubber.

Once these Dunlops have been worn enough, I will swap back over to the Metzeler Sportec M-1 tires front and rear. I'm willing to sacrifice dry performance for a bit of "insurance" in case I get caught in the rain. These probably won't get the same mileage as the ME Z4 model, but will probably get significantly more than the Rennsport, ME Z3 Racing, or the Sportec M3.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:52 PM

I got a free new pilot power 190 tire when I bought a rim in almost new condition on ebay! yah! Only 150 for the rim. Pilot powers rocks
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jays
One of the reasons that I believe they produce such a great motorcycle tire is because that is all that they do. No engineering of car, truck, ATV, or bicycle tires as supplemental lines of business. All their research and development is targeted specifically towards the motorcycle market.

~ Blue Jays ~
Bluey, I hate to do this to you, but you're probably the type to want the real information regardless. Metzeler is owned by Pirelli. Metzeler and Pirelli tires are made in the same plant in Breuberg, Germany. They are of the same construction, which includes the circumferential steel belts, and the same tread compounds among similar tires. I've had the opportunity to spend a few hours inside that plant while I was working for Pirelli. I was in the automotive group, and there is an auto tire plant about a mile up the road from the moto plant. It shouldn't steer you away from Metzelers; in fact, it opens you up to also consider Pirelli's.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 06:30 AM

I cast my vote for Pirelli. The Diablo is a good all around tire that wears well and has great wet and dry traction.

I'm running a set of Pirelli Dragon Super Corsas at the moment with no complaints.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 08:07 AM

Hi mkeeney-

Shocking! I tell you, simply SHOCKING!

Well I guess we learn something new everyday. Here I was digging the German engineering and the singularity-of-focus strictly on motorcycle tires. The only thing I could find on the Pirelli site was this quick Pirelli & Metzeler description.

~ Blue Jays ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode