Needing new tire. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Needing new tire.

Well, it's about time to replace the rear tire on my sixxer (GSXR 600). Had it new since January and put 3500 miles on it, but the stock tires are just not lasting. I was hoping some of you here could give me a little knowledge on the new tires out there. I've heard a lot of good things about the Pilot Powers, but don't really plan on even the occasional track day, just a lot of commuting and streetriding, so I'm really looking for a tire that's pretty good in the wear department. Not that I never lean it over though, lol, so I guess I'm trying to find that happy medium. Here in Texas, the Dunlop Qualifiers, Powers, and Metzelers are all the same price, so I guess I'm just asking for some input before I go get it changed Monday. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 07:06 AM

Ive got the qualifiers, however Ive never tried anything else so I cannot comment. However if you want something that will last longer try sport touring tires, however these don't have as good of traction.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 09:06 AM

Lot of good tyres out there, the thing to do is ask, like on this board or listen to others, along with dialing up each of the tyre makers & read so you will know what the names, number or letters mean by said makers.

Personally I just ride the Cdn Rodkie Mtn hwys being basically two to some four lane. On my '97 Yamaha YZF600r, '00 Honda 020 & '03 Honda 954 I have been putting on Bridgestone & basically the 012 on the front & 014 on the rear.

The lighter the number the more sticky they are & I would prefer the rear to break away, accidently of course, rather then the front. So far it is working in that they give good wear & decent traction for said roads & twisties plus decent wear.

Mind you a few yrs down the row & things might change, but right now that is my choice. Quite often the shop does not have in said tyre I want so I order in advance & arranging a booking time for the change & balance------within 4 or 5 days the tyre is there. I like this better then having to go by said shops suggestions based on what stock they have on the racks.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 09:54 AM

I'm just about to change my tires as well. I ran a D208 on the front and hated it. I got about 4k out of it and it took forever to warm up. I have a Metzler M1 on the back and I have no real complaints about it. It warms up in under five minutes of easy riding, ofcorse that with FL's hot weather. It stick really well and I rarely ever loose any grip, usually just when I screw up and lock the rear. It does great in the rain as well, I've ridden in an inch of standing water without any real slippage, but I wasn't pusing to hard. I've gotten about 4K out of it as a rear, and still have atleast anouther 1000 miles to go. I'm looking for a pair of M3's next. They are suppose to be a good improvement over the M3's and are only about $20-30 extra per tire. Let us know what you decide on and what you think of them!

Sepias

Last edited by SepiasSoul; 05-21-2006 at 10:39 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 01:44 PM

if you can find some Dunlop 208's grab em up. you can get at least 5k outta a rear.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 07:55 PM

^cycle gear had a clearing sale on 208's this weekend. Like 150 for a set of 120 fronts and 160 rear. the 180 set was 155.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 10:14 PM

Hi All-

My absolute preference has been Metzeler tires for years. Supple on the road, very respectable wear characteristics, and the hands-down winner in rainy conditions due to their perfectly-formulated silica content.

I had to purchase Dunlops on an emergency basis a couple years ago and never felt the stability that I've loved about all the Metzelers that I've owned. The Dunlops must have a triangulated profile because they always wanted to "stand-up" in mid-corner from my experience. Heard lots of fantastic things about Michelin Pilots as well.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 09:58 AM

Ive ran Bridgestones B/A twice now. Just picked up a set of met m1s I hope I won't be disappointed. Or there could be a wreck.

I need to come to the states to buy my tires man you guys get them for cheap. I spent 350 cnd on the m1s
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

All right, think I've narrowed it down to either the Metzeler M3 or the Pilot power. Any thoughts between these two?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 08:23 PM

If you can get the m3 at a good price, they are good. Great wet performance, but pilots are so damn cheap now. I can lean a shit load on the m3, but I haven't gotten to the point of where I'll loose any traction from the m3 or the pilots.

Hehe, I just bought a rear rim for an 05 gixxer in pristine new condition for 150 bucks with a new 190 pilot power tire. Woot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode