is it possible to import a bike into cali? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

is it possible to import a bike into cali?

hey guys, I'm looking to import a honda cbr 150r into cali from thailand. i have a several questions . . .
1. has anyone ever done this before?
2. is it worth it?
3. what does the process entail
4. is it even possible . . .

any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 03:10 PM

from thailand? Shipping charges along would be be expensive. And if its really from thailand, I'd bet its a fake Honda or a scam. Save yourself the hassle and fine a bike locally. I've heard too many stories about shipping bikes across country, let lone half a world away.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JBaz
from thailand? Shipping charges along would be be expensive. And if its really from thailand, I'd bet its a fake Honda or a scam. Save yourself the hassle and fine a bike locally. I've heard too many stories about shipping bikes across country, let lone half a world away.
+2

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 03:28 PM

Hi All-

I spent nearly a month traveling in Thailand with time in Bangkok, Chiang-Mai in the south, Chiang-Rai up north and the beaches of Phuket shortly before the tsunami struck. There are millions of motorcycles and scooters in that country with the predominant one being small Hondas...so I wouldn't be inclined to call it a fake. It is a great place to visit if you enjoy spicy food and they are a very staunch and true ally of this country. The exchange rate between the Thai bhat and the U.S. dollar allows one some competitive purchasing.

The things that I shipped back to the United States were primarily beads, artwork, clothes, antiques, and furniture but no motor vehicles that might have different emissions standards. Do a search under packing, shipping, and expediting to see who is out there. I'll see if I can find anything and will post it here.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jays
...motor vehicles that might have different emissions standards...
Emissions standards? In South-East Asia???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 04:40 PM

Hi cookeetree-

Good point! There were plenty of people running around with two-stroke engines on public roads...so it could get pretty hazy at times! Watching an entire family of four people commuting on a 150cc bike was unreal. So, is it a problem that one can peer straight into the engine by looking up the exhaust pipe?

~ Blue Jays ~
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jays
...Watching an entire family of four people commuting on a 150cc bike was unreal...
I lived Indonesia for 2 1/2 years. The best I saw was a family of SIX!! Two kids on the gas tank, then Dad, another kid and finally Mum, holding a baby.

Oh, the two kids of the front had helmets......plastic toy baseball helmets!

Sorry to get off-topic...

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 05:20 PM

The real problem Jbaz and I were hitting on is not so much the knock offs but the outright scams that are run out of other countries. E-bay has become a popular target of these scams, when you win the auction you find out the item is in anouther country, has fines against it, or just doesn't exist and someone now has your money. With the whole emmisions standards, yea I would be willing the bet the standards over there are much lower or non-existant. I have noticed that due to this fact they seem to have a few more "alternativly" powered vehicles, most of which are due to saving money on gas and seem to increase emmitions alot.

Sepias

Last edited by SepiasSoul; 05-18-2006 at 08:15 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
...emmisions... ...immitions...

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 08:15 PM

lol, I wasn't exactly paying attention when I was typing that... I was thinking about food I hadn't eaten yet

Sepias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode