Why we wear gear: a graphical representation - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Why we wear gear: a graphical representation

I'm sure this isn't the picture you guys expected to see but jeez, I'm not disgusting. First, when I was about 16 and my older sister went off to college, she gave me a couple of beverage keys (cause you know, I opened a lot of beer bottles back then or something) Anyway, I always carried it around, it was handy to have - it held up perfectly, well - until I had my motorcycle accident - I was wearing khakis at the time, and bevkey (and my keys) stayed in my pocket for the entire wreck - anything that happened to them, happened to me too. What's interesting to note is that my legs and hands were the only parts I wasn't wearing proper gear on, and they got torn up but, now for my graphical representation. As I was cleaning the 2nd floor of my house this morning, I ran across the spare bevkey, it's been sitting on a dresser undisturbed - it's pictured on the left. The one that went for a ride, is pictured on the right - the pictures are a LITTLE blurry, it's hard to get a picture up that close but, you get the idea - if asphalt does this to METAL as 65 mph, your skin WILL NOT HOLD UP! It's summer time, and I know it's warm, but just remember - wear your gear people!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 11:18 AM

This is what I thought you were going to post

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 560whythehelmet.jpg (103.1 KB, 274 views)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

I was going for something a little more real, but that'd of done the trick.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 12:04 PM

Thanks for that, Im always looking for extra motivation to wear my leather pants (I've been skimping recently), if you dont mind me asking, what happened to your legs and hands in the accident?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan6615
Thanks for that, Im always looking for extra motivation to wear my leather pants (I've been skimping recently), if you dont mind me asking, what happened to your legs and hands in the accident?
Sure don't, I don't have the picture of the injuries anymore, but - I remember the wounds vividly! Part of it had to do with the way I went down, a 16 year old girl pulled out about 15 feet in front of me while I was going about 70, I missed her car but went down in the process (I really think it was me over correcting, on cold tires, the front broke loose and down I went, hard onto the left - quick right turn, quick left turn - pavement), when the bike went down on its left side it hit hard enough that it kicked over the front end and landed sliding rear wheel first, it took me around with it so, now we're on our right side facing backwards, somehow in the flip i managed to get both my legs under the motorcycle, so the knees/parts of the shins were skinned badly, the knees went down straight to the bone. I'm not sure what caused it but I got a nice, big, nasty cut down the calf of my right leg, it was pretty deep and was a nice bleeder, the impact also broke 3 bones in my right foot (I was wearing tall timberlands - the doctors, emt's, and police agreed - where my foot was caught (the peg had my foot wedged between the bike and the ground for most of the slide), had I been wearing tennis shoes, my ankle would be shattered - luckily the only lasting damage is some permenant numbness from nerve damage, in an area about 3 inches tall and 4 inches long right under my right ankle on the inside of the foot), anyway.

My hands WOULD have been fine, I was sliding on my stomach feet first, I was wearing a full face helmet and the visor was down, but I remember very clearly doing something pretty dumb - as I was sliding the front of my facemask was tapping the pavement, anyone who's ever slid face down knows asphalt flying by your face is pretty scary, so - I conciously put my right hand between my face and the ground and pushed up, my right hands palm was torn down to the muscle - as in, yo ucould see the free muscles moving around in my hand when I moved it, my left hand suffered similarly but, no where near as bad. The only other injury was where my jacket slid up and i got a piece of gravel (yes, 1 singular piece of gravel) right at the waist line in my tummy, however everywhere the jacket and helmet were was absolutely fine (I give joe rocket textiles my absolute seal of approval, I still have the jacket in my closet and show my friends anytime they start talking about it being too hot to wear gear). The worst part is that morning I put on ALL my gear, however the trip I went down in was one of those short ones (I went to get a haircut, from my girl at the times house, it was about 4 minutes both ways) it was hot, and I figured I didn't need the extra layer - big mistake. Luckily I don't scar easily, the only 'lasting' marks is the creases/wrinklse in my right palm are defined MUCH clearer than the ones in my left (dunno? maybe reforming the skin made everything come through clearer), and I have pink spots that sunburn easy on my knees and shins from where it wore all the way through. I also have a dent dead center in the numb part of my foot where I guess it permenantly smushed some meat out of the way.

The only other testimony I'll give is to my cingular (nokia) phone at the time, that guy went through that wreck, and falling out of my pocket on the interstate at 80 and still worked - those suckers are tough.

Appologies for the exceptionally long post.

EDIT: For anyone who was curious, the bike I was on at the time was my zx7r, when we hit the curb, the curb stopped me and the bike continued on its side over it - used a handicap sign (that still lays over at a steep, steep angle to this day), as a ramp, and landed on the hood of a cadillac. I sold it a month or two later in damaged condition (forks bent, levels gone, pegs gone, etc - only cost the guy about 1300 to put it back on the rode but, I picked it up for 2700 with 6k miles on it so it wasn't worth it to me to fix) The lady who owned the cadillac was walking to her car when the accident happened, and literally badgered the EMT/ambulance workers to stop putting me in the ambulance so that she could have me write her a check for the damages (and as i recall, she wanted a check for 5k, cause she was 'sure that would cover it', total damage repairs were about 2600), and was peeved that they were telling her to get lost. The zx7r was a great bike to anyone that's considering one though, I took that baby to deals gap, and had a great, great time.

Last edited by cmd954; 05-18-2006 at 12:27 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 12:30 PM

Again thanks cmd954, these kind of stories really help me to take the extra 5 minutes and wiggle my fat ass in my leathers!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 12:34 PM

cmd954: so no gloves at the time?

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan6615
Again thanks cmd954, these kind of stories really help me to take the extra 5 minutes and wiggle my fat ass in my leathers!
No problem, just try to find a way to make you always wear them, when you go down and they're all scraped up and you can go home without getting to experience the joy of the huge brush they use to painfully clean out your road rash - you'll thank yourself.

Also, interesting to note - the bike I wrecked, the zx7r - I bought and drove home from Ft. Wayne, IN - I met spicerke on that trip
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
cmd954: so no gloves at the time?
Well, I - OWNED- gloves and pants at the time, just, in my wonderful judgement, decided not to put them on for that trip.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cmd954
Well, I - OWNED- gloves and pants at the time, just, in my wonderful judgement, decided not to put them on for that trip.
I occasionally ride without a jacket if I'm only goinga block or two at under 40mph, but I always wear my gloves. Its good to get in the habit of riding with them so you won't feel comfortable without them.

Glad you're okay for the most part now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode