First Crash - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

First Crash

Around 5 hrs ago I was involved in my first cage/bike impact in over 7 years of riding.

I was on route 57 in Phillipsburg NJ going around 60-65 mph when a old man cage tried to hang a left across my lane into a florist shop on my side of the road. Someone in the florist parking lot was exiting their parking spot. So of course the old man cage decided to stop in my lane completely blocking it with his fucking Buick.

So I had three options at this point:

1. Ditch left into on coming traffic.

2. Ditch right into the parking lot.

3. Eat Buick.

So I ate Buick. Right rear 1/4 panel to be exact.

I dove on both brakes. Locked up the rear - realesed rear, got into a little wobble (I know, I know......SR just kicked in - I know better than to lock up the rear and then turn it loose).

Anyway, got a bit of control on the front end to make it straight just before the impact. Probably slowed it down to about 40 mph before I blasted the Buick.

Exited the bike clean over the handle bars - flew via a nice front flip around 30 - 40 feet (most of my momentum was upward motion - I'll explain in a minute) and landed square on my left hip on the center line of the highway.

No dragging or sliding - it was like I fell straight outta the sky.

I ride a 2000 Kaw ZRX1100 btw. Or should I say, DID ride.

As I'm laying there on the ground unable to feel my left leg I look over back at the crash scene and here's the old man looking at me from 60 feet away going, "What happened?"

I was so in shock I couldn't freak'n speak - so thankfully a stranger named Paul rushed over to help me, screaming at the old cager, "WTF do you think happened!!! You pulled out in front of him!!!!!"

He stuck up for me the whole time. The old cager didn't say a word to me at all - nothing - just stood over me while other people helped and until paramedics arrived.

So here's where I got all the upward momentum from. As I lay in the highway I look over to my bike and realize the rider side of the tank ( Right where your cock and balls rest against the tank) was totally smashed in - the dent was probably around 3" by 3". So I figure when the impact came I crushed in the tank with my freakin groin, firing me straight up and over.

Luckily after x-rays on my back and hip I have nothing broken. I'm sore as all get out though and probably won't be able to have kids.

I was wearing a 1 week old Alpinestars Perfed leather race jacket with full gloves and HJC helmet. All equipment did exactly as it was supposed to do. If not for the lid I'd have a gash around 1" deep and thick in my head. Forearm armor in the jacket worked perfect softening the blow to my left arm as it smashed the ground.

I think my bike is dead though. I'll post pics when I go to the tow facility.

Anyway I'm totally thankful that nothing bad happened to me - I could have ended up a hellofah lot worse.

BTW - big thanks to all volunteer firemen out there. Luckily one of them was right there when my accident happened. B/C my left leg went numb I thought I had either dislocated the hip or broken the shit out of it. The volunteer fireman (Greg) spot checked me and did all the prelimineary assessment of me before the paramedics arrived. While it was totally weird to have a strangers hand down the back of my pants to feel for obtrusions - it was a great comfort to know I wasn't seriously fucked up.

And hey of course BIG FREAK'N KUDOS TO ALL EMERGENCY PERSONNEL OUT THERE. I LOVE EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU!!!!

Thanks for listening you guys - and be safe out there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 02:34 PM

Damn man, I was feeling bad about my accedent, but yours puts mine to shame. Glad to hear your alright. I wouldn't worry about the bike, you can always buy a new one, but replacing your body doesn't work to well so just rest and get well. Sue his ass for everything you can too. There is no way you should pay even a cent for this. Good luck, and glad your doin alright. Get some rest, and break out the Vicaden! That stuff works pretty well

Sepias
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Sepias - I'll be pop'n pills soon I"m sure.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 02:37 PM

wow, crazy stuff, hows the bike though? Was the old man going ur direction or coming in the opposite way?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Bikes screwed - he was coming the other way and just stopped in my lane completely blocking it. I had nowhere to go.....except upwards of course. I'm surprised my balls weren't splattered all over the inside of my jeans.

Thanks for the regards.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 02:47 PM

glad to see you are ok just sore and you will be even sorer tommorow , the bike can be replaced along with the gear but you cant. take care of your self and get with his insurance and get it started so you can get back on the next bike.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Scott - I appreciate it.

Anybody ever had their bike repaired from a serious accident (Minus frame damage) and have it act normal again. I'm worried if insurance doesn't total the bike I'll be stuck with the thing not performing the way it used to. And I don't want that to happen.

Any thoughts you guys??
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 03:11 PM

Usually if the repair costs are half the avereage resale of the vehicle its totaled. My old boat burned out the insides and the estimated repair was $8k, the boat was insured for $20k and they still totaled it. Just talk with the claims adjuster, they are usually pretty cooperative. You might look into buying it back from the insurance, we bought the boat back for $2000 and sold it for $8000 without any repairs. You could part it on ebay for a pretty penny.

Sepias
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
Usually if the repair costs are half the avereage resale of the vehicle its totaled. My old boat burned out the insides and the estimated repair was $8k, the boat was insured for $20k and they still totaled it. Just talk with the claims adjuster, they are usually pretty cooperative. You might look into buying it back from the insurance, we bought the boat back for $2000 and sold it for $8000 without any repairs. You could part it on ebay for a pretty penny.

Sepias
Excellent advice. Thanks a bunch Sepias!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 03:35 PM

Wow, mate, you got really lucky when you think about it. I mean, you're able to sit there and use your computer, so you've got a lot to be thankful for.

As sscottab said, you're going to be sore as hell tomorrow, after the adrenalin wears off and the bruising sets in.

Big kudos to the guy who helped you out initially. He'll be your prime witness, if needed.

Rest up, take it easy and you'll be back on two wheels in no time.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode