In the year 2000...wait...I mean, 2020 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

In the year 2000...wait...I mean, 2020

First off, this is NOT intended to turn into a "can a 600cc sportbike be a good 1st bike" thread. Plenty of other threads to read about that.

I'm approaching the subject of how motorcycles have evolved. Today, some 600's have 120+ horsepower, and weigh under 400lbs, probably better power/weight ratio than litre bikes of 15 years ago.

While I understand how & why a early 90's and older 600 is a much better choice over a new 600(even though still 90-100hp isn't exactly 'training wheels')....I have a simple question: do you think 10-15 years from now, when the performance of the 600's will probably be much improved over today, will people say, "hey, a 2006 R6/GSXR/636 is a great starter bike?"

Whatcha' think? Will the current 600's always be perceived, like today, as bad starter bikes, or will the same cycle keep taking place?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 07:21 PM

Even though the modern day 600's are badass machines I think that 20 years (or whatever) down the road people we will look at them like 20 year old bikes, and people think that old bikes make good first bikes no matter what there actual performance is.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan6615
...people think that old bikes make good first bikes no matter what there actual performance is.
Well said.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 10:40 PM

good one slaps, I've always wondered that myself. Hopefully, companies will start investing more in improving smaller bikes (mainly looks) to lure new riders... but with the current US marketing mentality I really doubt anything good will come here.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 04:29 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I've posed a similar question in the "first bike" threads. Pretty much any bike today is faster/more powerful/better handling/etc. than even the racing bikes of years ago. Back then, nobody would ever have told someone to start on what we consider to be very tame bikes today. My guess is that as our technology improves, so does our ability to use it. I think the argument was lost on a number of people in the thread though.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 04:55 AM

in 14 years, 600 cc bikes will weigh 350lbs and put out 140whp...so yeah i say by those days standards, bikes like we have now will be considered good "starter bikes" because they will be slow, or atleast slower, by the current (future) standards
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 04:58 AM

We seem to be closing in on a wall as far as performance is concerned. Tires can only handle so much, and they are not improving as fast as the other technologies. I think the trend will be toward smaller and smaller engines, while keeping the same power output. Already motoGP is going to 800cc, so superbike could well follow in a few years. With an 800cc superbike, 600cc seems kind of redundant, so we may see a 400cc supersport. Perhaps some high stength alloys will become cheaper, and we'll see lighter frames. For all we know 20 years from now we could have a 100hp 250 that weighs around 300 pounds wet.
There is also the possibility of a serious fuel crunch in our future, which may mean moving away from gasoline. Methanol would be almost disastarous for motorcycles, due to the large fuel tanks it would require. Electric motors already have a much better weight to power ratios than gasoline ones, we just have to figure out a good way of storing that energy. There is also the possibility of restrictive legislation on the horizon as well.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

I think people will consider them good starter bikes, too. It's ridiculous how a long time ago a 500 was a "large" bike, and now people are terrfied of "outgrowing" them after a week.

I could see a shift towards smaller engines...but I'm sure they'll still make the larger displacements too. Someone's always gotta have the latest ZX-14(not that there's anything wrong with that).

Too bad there wasn't a bigger market here for some of the cool 250's they have over in UK. Modern looks, decent performance. I still don't see how they wouldn't sell. The biggest complaint against the Ninja 250/500 is outdated looks. Then again, the GS500F doesn't seem to be flying off shelves, and that's a good looking bike.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slaps76
...Too bad there wasn't a bigger market here for some of the cool 250's they have over in UK. Modern looks, decent performance. I still don't see how they wouldn't sell. The biggest complaint against the Ninja 250/500 is outdated looks...
Australia has had the ZZR 250 since it first came out in 1990. It hasn't changed at all, except colours, which makes parts a breeze. We have one of these, but ours is red / black.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 11:55 AM

whats the difference between that and the ex250?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode