Sprocket and Chain Questions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Question Sprocket and Chain Questions

Ok so ive been in the market for a new sprockets and a chain, however my search isnt comming along very well. I read on another board that aluminum sprockets seem to last worth shit, however I am having trouble finding steel ones, perhaps everyone uses aluminum and im just a noob? Also, I was going to get a kit with 14 up front, however they only come with the 520 chain, and I heard these arnt as strong and risk snapping, which is bad since I plan to start learning wheelies soon.

Oh yea will any size chain work on any sprockets, or are their teeth different sizes aswell?

And one last one, do I need a short chain if I drop a tooth in the front or can I just pull the wheel farther back on the swingarm.

Last edited by slick1537; 05-10-2006 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 11:18 AM

Which bike are you getting the chain/sprocket for. I also have YZF600r and there's a pretty established combo that is preferred and cost effective. 14/49 steel, 530 chain.

In general, 520 chain and aluminum sprockets won't last as long and is used in races because they get new sprockets and chain after each race. For street use, a heavier chain and steel sprockets are more practical for the money.

There's so many sprocket makers but JT sprockets are cheap but of high quality. Sprockets do not require rocket science and you have to think what you're paying for in "high-end" sprockets. Chains are another story. Get superior quality chains.

As for size, a 520 chain goes on 520 sprockets. Size must match. In terms of length, the change in sprocket size shouldn't affect the length by more than 2 links. There's nothing more annoying than getting a chain that too short. You can always cut a longer chain.

Last edited by autoredial; 05-11-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode