help!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

help!!!

after saving up for 3 months to get my first bike inspected, i find out the the front rim is bent and need a new one to pass. kawasaki wants $425!!! i don't got that kind of money. it's a 97 zx6r and i found out the rim is 3.5X17. does anyone know where to buy used(but in good condition) rims besides ebay. or of any sites to be able to cross reference that size with other bikes? i live in pa, so anyone from the area know of any good used parts places. this is all i need to finally start riding, please help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 05:24 PM

Hi Want2Ride-

Take a look in the back of either Motorcyclist or Cycle World magazine and you'll see advertisements for companies that specialize in straightening motorcycle rims. That would be a great place to start...

~ Blue Jays ~
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 05:35 PM

This isn't advisable, but you don't "need" to pass inspection to start riding. Depending on how bad the rim is, I might just say F-it and start going. Also, some bike mechanics will straighten rims for little or no cost when they replace the tires. I've had my car rims straighten before for free, but I'm also not sure on how much more difficult it is to fix a M/C tire, especially since you only have two of them instead of 4.

Sepias

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 04:38 AM

Check out e-bay, or google search cycle salvage shops. You can get a good used rim for probably $100.00 maybe less.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

what are the shops called that straighten rims? what listing in the phone should i look in? would this be an auto repair place or a motorcycle repair place? or a machine shop?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 07:10 PM

search for rim or wheel repair shop. Your bike is old, so finding a used rim should be fairly easy and cheap.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 01:17 AM

hell, if u cant find a little shop then just take it to a dealer, it'll still be less than $400.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 03:41 AM

do NOT ride on a bent rim no matter what anyone tells you. do NOT say "eff it and ride" cause none of us know the extent of the bend, and even if it holds air it can and most likely will throw the balance of the rim way off, therefore making your bike extremely unsafe to ride.

you can find rims on ebay, try www.stuntusa.com or www.stuntlife.com people sell cheap parts on there all the time. ive seen cheap rims on ebay. just keep your eyes open, and i would expect to pay only around 100 maybe 150 for a rim.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 04:15 AM

i agree dont ride on a bent rim, i know for cars most of the time on a nice 19 inch rim or somthing it only cost me 75 when i did it one time and like 65 another time, so it shouldnt be to bad, and i wouldnt think it would need to be a bike specific store/shop, call around and ask the people your calling if they dont do the service who might in the area
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

does anyone know what the numbers are on the rims?
i have a "J17XMT3.50" whinch i assume has something to do with the size, and a "F-1286". I found a rim that has the same "j" number, but is "F-1285". will this wheel work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode