Crop sprayer: squidly temptations - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Talking Crop sprayer: squidly temptations

Came home yesterday and got to a rise leading to my favorite curves. A crop sprayer was just entering the curves. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, this is the closest example I could find, though this one is much lower and more stout than the one I saw:
Anyway, I motored up to it and settled in at 25mph while I went through the curves and down the hill. While doing so, my bored mind evaluated that I could probably have ducked my head and twisted the throttle and passed right underneath the middle of it.

Got to the bottom of the hill and passed the sprayer, as did the pickup and other vehicles behind me. Quarter mile later I stopped at the stop sign on the road to make my left and the pickup pulled up next to me. With a laughing tone the ~60-year-old said, "I was wondering if you were going to go under it!" I answered, "I briefly considered it but am too old [and wise] for something so stupid."

Be honest, who would've zipped underneath?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 08:58 AM

... It would come down to clearance... but I most likely wouldn't have either. Especially if you were going through curves since any minor adjustment the sprayer makes would result in the wheel being ontop on your broken body... If it was a long straight road, I would probably have considered it, but opted out since it was a straight road and I could pass him. I guess thats a long way of saying, no I wouldn't. Now if I talked to the sprayer driver ahead of time and planned it out at a lower speed I probably would.

Sepias
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 02:10 PM

I'd rather not suffer a decapitation.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 02:15 PM

Could you imagine the shock that the driver of the crop sprayer would've received, seeing you appear from underneath him!

No, I wouldn't have done it either.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 02:32 PM

Hi All-

Look for Tom Cruise to perform this trick in MI:IV coming to theaters in 2008!

~ Blue Jays ~
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 04:57 PM

There are times when I'm riding down the freeway next to an 18-wheeler, or come up to a red light with an 18-wheeler crossing the intersection perpendicularly, and I just wonder. If the trailer was raised a bit, the bike lowered, and me tucked in flat on the tank, what if I could just ride right through that intersection under the truck, or change lanes on the freeway under the trailer, kinda like in the first The Fast and the Furious movie. Of course, I'd never try it, but the scenario does play in my mind.

There was a separate incident on the freeway where I resisted squidly temptations. I merged into the freeway, and in front of me was a pack of trucks, two of which were going side by side. Traffic was pretty light, and I could simply go around em. I had a very strong temptation, though, to see if I can split between the two trucks. I even approached them like I was about to do it, but decided against it at the last second and just went around them.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jays
Hi All-

Look for Tom Cruise to perform this trick in MI:IV coming to theaters in 2008!

~ Blue Jays ~
Yet another fan of the MI series, huh?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 04:19 AM

Tom Cruise was fine, until he opened his mouth about BS and Sciencetology. He never did eat that plecenta. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode