headlights at night sure are fun..... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

headlights at night sure are fun.....

so yeah, headlights sure kick butt, and im revising my opinion of harley riders.

Being in wisconsin, theres a ton of hd's around, and normally i get and give the wave, and its been my understanding that most of them i meet are usually ex sportbike riders, just older and not really that interested in bikes of our sort any more, but the other night i met the " other " kind of harley riders, and woe betide them if i ever find them again.

So im riding around on my new baby, just got my r6 back in feb after spending my first two years on an ole 93 fizzer. While i love that girl, ( and still have her, which is coming in handy now),
my r6 is my dream, and up till thursday, had never let me down.

Anyhow, was riding around late last nite, thankfully not so fast at nite cuz im not really interesting in a meeting of the minds between me and the 7 million deer in this state, when i had about 4 seconds to realize that every single piece of gear on my bike running off electricity was going south. By the time i pulled the clutch in and got on the brakes i was riding a dead bike, which like the post title says, kinda sucks at nite. Got it slowed down to a speed i was ok with coasting in the dark, and rode it till i lost all momentum at the bottom of this massively long but not too steep hill. I had about 3 thoughts in my head when my bike decided to take a night off, and in no particular order.

#1 boy its cloudy and now i have no headlights going 100 on a curvy road

#2 im in one of the many hilly zones that US Cellular has no ability to get me service in

#3 NO way am i leaving this girl here on the highway 6 miles from town, which means a long walk, and the first 1/2 mile of it is up a roughly 15 degree hill. ( At least the downgrade is long too, so once i got up it i had a good coast with some illumination from farm lights.)

So about halfway thru this bloody walk up the hill, 4 guys on hd's come rolling by and slow down, I'm thinking oh thank god, one of these dudes has to have a phone i can use. They slow down, so i stop and wave and when they come close yell out that i could use a phone please, to which i recieve 4 variations of comments about my family ancestry and where exactly i can stick my broken down rice burner, and then i get to hear them blaat away on their hd's like the fact that their bikes can raise the dead from 200 feet makes them cool. Yeah thanks for the two wheeled brotherhood guys.

Made it to the top of the hill, stopped, smoked a cig, then got on for the coast down the hill, which got me a good ways, when i heard what i thought was a beautiful sound, a fellow sb coming around the curves i had so recently had in my head to drive, so i flicked my key to get what light i could and started waving, when some squid goes by, in t shirt shorts and SANDALS, just waves and blasts a wobbly ugly wheelie, yeah thanks, instead of a phone, i really needed the chance to possibly be picking ur meat carcass off the asphalt. Anyway the bikes at the shop now, probably not a bad batt, which sucks, i was hoping that was it, im going to the storage shed to pull out the ole purple fzr, and im sitting at work looking at 75 degrees and sunny.

Weak.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 11:03 AM

Sounds like a nasty ordeal. Sorry to hear about it. It pissed me off to hear about bikers who don't help each other out. I was riding yesterday with Vipes and passed an HD on the side of the road, we both turned around and road back to where he was at to make sure everything was alright. He had a flat but said he had someone on the way and thanked up for stopping. But Jerks like you met really piss me off. I've found a few of them, but unlike you, I've never needed to ask them for help. I hope it wasn't anything major that went south on your bike, but if it was hit up ebay. There are alot of squids like the one in sadles that passed you that have wrecked their nice R6's and have to sell off the parts. Every idiot has their place in the greater cycle of life.

Good luck,
Sepias
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 05:12 PM

All HD riders arent bad. Thats the only people I have to ride with. There was 10 HD's and then me on my GSX-R.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 02:42 AM

Unfortunately there are assholes out there that you have to deal with. I got a bottle thrown at me one time when I was riding through a small village. It's a good thing that not all HD riders are like that. Sounds like your stator went bad.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wheelie_steve
Unfortunately there are assholes out there that you have to deal with. I got a bottle thrown at me one time when I was riding through a small village. It's a good thing that not all HD riders are like that. Sounds like your stator went bad.
That's f'ing bullshit man, I cant beleive someone would be so stupid!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

well just to set it straight, somehow i melted a bunch of connections in the charging system.

My mechanic took pity on me cuz it was 75 degrees and gorgeous all weekend while it was in the shop, and now Madison is due for an entire week of rain, so its ready to go today and no charge.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 09:05 AM

Nice mechanic! Glad to hear it was something simple though. I would look into some insulation tape or something to wrap the wires and prevent a reoccurance.

Sepias
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 10:55 AM

well thats good to hear everything worked out. at least
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 03:34 PM

Just good to hear the only bad things that happened were the bike(which is now fine) and you having to do some exercising. Could have been worse as we all know. It's sad though that people have to be such pricks. What goes around, comes around though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode