Question:Repetative High RPM's - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Question:Repetative High RPM's

As most of you know I've ridden Harley's in the past. So I have a question- I ride 40 mile to and from work everyday or most days if I can. And this new Katana 600 on the interstate at 78 to 80 MPH runs right at 6000 RPM's, is this normal?(And yes I'm past the 600 break-in miles) And also by doing this, am I going to toast an engine in 5000 miles? If so are their any solutions to bring the RPM's down a little ( like bigger sprockets) Don't get me wrong, I know that you don't get the power out of a sportbike until you hit very high RPM's, but I don't want to waste an engine by not knowing what I'm doing. Any opinions are considered helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 06:39 PM

Sportbikes are geared to hit the higher RPMs earlier, unlike HD's and cruisers. Running at 6k at around 70 isn't bad at all. I run between 5.5 and 6k when I'm doing around 70. It's not going to hurt the engine one bit. They are built to be run at higher RPMs and made to last at them. If you were bouncing it off the limiter, then there might be cause for concern, but not mid way up.

Sepias
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
Sportbikes are geared to hit the higher RPMs earlier, unlike HD's and cruisers. Running at 6k at around 70 isn't bad at all. I run between 5.5 and 6k when I'm doing around 70. It's not going to hurt the engine one bit. They are built to be run at higher RPMs and made to last at them. If you were bouncing it off the limiter, then there might be cause for concern, but not mid way up.

Sepias

Cool, Thats the response I was hoping for.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Yep.... it should be fine as long as you don't bounce it off the rev limiter constantly. Not sure what the rev limit is for the Katana... but it's over 6 k for sure. Probably somewhere around 9500 - 10500 or there abouts.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by DanQ
Yep.... it should be fine as long as you don't bounce it off the rev limiter constantly. Not sure what the rev limit is for the Katana... but it's over 6 k for sure. Probably somewhere around 9500 - 10500 or there abouts.
I'm assuming by rev limit your talking about where it red lines on the tach, if so, it red lines from 11,000 to 13,000. And I get nowhere near that. So I,m sure I shouldn't worry to much about it. Thanks for the input.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 09:41 AM

Red line and the rev limiter are a little different. The red line is where you should shift at the latest, the rev limiter is were the bike prevents the RPMs from going any higher do to engine damage. My redline starts at 12.5, but the rev limter is 13.5. I hit the rev limiter quite a bit and haven't had any clutch problems, ofcoarse I do have a race clutch so it can take a bit more abuse. But just like a sports car, hitting the high end once in a while is good and necessary for the bike, or so I'm told. So don't be afraid to find your high end, so long as your comfortable with it and are still riding within your limits.

Sepias
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Red line and the rev limiter are a little different. The red line is where you should shift at the latest, the rev limiter is were the bike prevents the RPMs from going any higher do to engine damage. My redline starts at 12.5, but the rev limter is 13.5. I hit the rev limiter quite a bit and haven't had any clutch problems, ofcoarse I do have a race clutch so it can take a bit more abuse. But just like a sports car, hitting the high end once in a while is good and necessary for the bike, or so I'm told. So don't be afraid to find your high end, so long as your comfortable with it and are still riding within your limits.

Sepias
If that's all correct then I'm probably dogging it because I shift a lot earlier that that. So I'll remember the tips. Thanks I'm a what can I say.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 10:35 AM

I'm a squid to, but I just like to help my fellow species live longer and with less fret so that we can grow into old squids and not just end up as ink patches on the road

Sepias
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tribby
I'm a what can I say.
Quote:
I'm a squid to, but I just like to help my fellow species live longer and with less fret so that we can grow into old squids and not just end up as ink patches on the road

Sepias
I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree with both of you. Squids have no intention of preserving themselves. Squids bounce off the rev limiter while doing 12 o'clocks on the freeway. Their mentality is "if it breaks, insurance will replace it." So no, if you're making an effort to preserve yourself, your bike, and enhance your riding skills, then that does not qualify you as a squid.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 08:31 PM

Then we are just newbies trying to preserve our own kind and diferentiate ourselves from those squids around us...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode