HELP! Odd Noise - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

HELP! Odd Noise

So two days ago I got on a like 5 or 6 hour ride with my buddies to vermont and back. Bikes running great until we are on the vermont highway or northway or whatever you want to call it and we get pulled over, I have a slight, but slow ride down the rumble strip. I thought I heard a weird noise but hey how offen do I ride down rumble strips, but now I am positive. When ever I pull away in first gear my bike seems to make a "clunking" sound that increases with speed, I can no longer hear it in second, but if I pull in the clutch and coast I can feel a vibration like there is a point in the chain that there is a problem. I figured maybe the chain had come loose and was slapping the swingarm so I tighted it. Did not work, rolled the bike real slow, found a spot in the chain where it tends to bind to the rear sprocket, so I tried adjusting the rear tire to make sure it was strait, however that didn't work either. I even tried pounding around the center of the rear sprocket thinking maybe that one side of the the whole unit thing had come loose from its housing in the wheel, so one side was no longer strait and that didn't work either. This is really really shitty, and the last thing I want to do is bring my bike to the local mechanic, it will take them at least 3 weeks to get it in, then charge me a fortune.

~Slick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 06:55 AM

It may be time to replace the chain. How many miles on it?

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

3 thousand miles as far as I have put on it but the bike has close to 19k so I suppose it could have 19 k on it if the previous owner never put a new one on. Why would riding down a rumble strip cause the chain to go shitty when it previously had no problems?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 08:29 AM

You never know what little vibrations can do. It also might not be that the rumble stips caused it, so much as they brought it to your attention. Have you tried cleaning the chain and re-greasing it? I would give that a shot before I sprang for a new one. Good luck,

Sepias
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 08:30 AM

Time to change it and the sprockets! How often do you clean and oil your chain?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

I would say every 1000 miles or so it gets cleaned. Not like a scheduled thing just when I have the time and it starts to look grungy. Was gonna do it today but it started raining.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 10:02 AM

You really should at least lube it every 500 miles or so. I try to get mine every other tank full. I still only get 4 to 6 k on a chain.
You mentioned you'd been on a 5 or 6 hr ride. The chain prolly got pretty hot. It cooled down while you were stopped and froze some of the links. Time to replace the chain! I've heard stories about them coming off and wrecking the motor, or worse yet, having it actually chop off a guy's leg. True story!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 10:05 AM

I lube my chain once a week, which is about every 200 miles. I have never cleaned it, but I also have never had any problems with it. As soon as I start seeing silver on my chain it gets anouther good coat of lube, I also clean my brake rotors when I do this.

Sepias
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 01:05 PM

mac is right not only a new chain, but set of new sprockets as well & YES 500 miles is when one should lube the chain unless they have been in a lot of rain meaning more often.

There is a little thing that fits with chain being "lube when hot & adjust when cold". Meaning when you are home from that ride, then lube it then & let it sit for two hrs to possibly overnight as the lube soaks in AND will NOT fling unless you oversaturate the chain.

"Cold" for adjusting is sensible as it is done when the bike has been sitting around the evening or for some hrs AND you look for the tightest spot for the adjustment of "free play" & I also have the bike off the stand & sit on the bike as I roll it forward a few inches, at a time, also just reaching behind to feel if the tension is correct or it it has snugged up to much or become to slack as both can happend once you have snugged up the rear axle nut.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 03:04 PM

My friend had wierd clunking and banging noises. It only happened under hard acceleration and when going over bumps. Upon looking into his problem for him I found that the front sprocket was almost round in shape. The teeth were worn so much that it was causing the chain to skip on the sprocket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode