Well today sucked... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Angry Well today sucked...

I get up this morning and go to do some work on my bike and finish gettin git back together after the paint. Well, the first thing I noticed is that the bike looks a good bit lighter than it did last night. I think nothing of it at the time and start putting the bike back together since its all dry and hard. I start noticing a few spots that are peeling and flaking off. I've found several spots now that are just flaking away for no obvious reason. Pissed at this point I continue to put parts back together and back on my bike. As I finish getting it together I step back and look... the bike is rather... pink. I'm not sure if its the sheer mass of the amount of purple that makes it look pink or what, but it has a rather distinct pink hue... I'm thinking I'll be making a trip down to the autostore and buying some truck bed liner at the beggining of next week. If I can get over the shame of the level of pink, I might post a pic and get all of your opinions... I'm just pissed that it dried this light and that its flaking for no reason... The only thing I can think of that might cause the flaking is the primer, but I'm not sure.

Sepias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 05:42 PM

It could be many reasons why it happened. Did you use the correct amount of reducer when mixing the paint? Did you wipe all parts down with acetone and a clean rag before you painted?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

I did wipe it all down with acetone, I went very light with the reducer, about 1 part paint to 1 or 1.5 part reducer. There were no specifics given for the mixture with the paint, so I went with the less is more policy.

Sepias

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 08:37 PM

There is no real proper mixture measurable amount. People usually mix the paint and reducer until they feel it is the right consistancy.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 11:22 PM

Sepias, it ain't your fault!

It's safe to say that the flaking is not your fault.

I'm recalling your posts the best I can since you started researching this project, and I can't say you've made a wrong step. The only thing I can guess is that you might not have a permanent painting set-up and because of that, you probably didn't have a moisture collection system in place.

Moisture in an airline can carry contaminants (water, oil, etc.) that will guarantee that your paint will not adhere regardless of all your efforts. I sincerely hope you can find it in your SepiasSoul not to give in to the All-Mighty temptation to throw all things painted against a brick wall in your moment of frustration, you (and your Yami) deserve better!

As thorough as you were in asking advice for the process, I'm afraid those of us who advised you, failed to provide a thorough explanation of all the pitfalls of painting. I'm truly sorry for your troubles and I hope you can see it through to successful completion. I have failed many times, only to pick myself up to continue my task, learning and improving every step of the way, but only by the strength of those that surround me.

If I can be of any good help, I will gladly do so for any fellow rider.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 01:04 AM

how many coats did you apply? I'm also assuming you used that borrowed hlvp sprayer? I know light colors require more light coats than darker colors. The F2 had about 16 light coats for even coverage. When we did my other friends light blue hawk. We put the same amount of coats but it was much lighter than we expected as well. That and it has metal flakes in it and the bitch ran like hell.

Last edited by JBaz; 05-06-2006 at 01:06 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I did 3 coats of paint before I ran out. But that should have been more than enough since its a fairly dark color. I'm not sure what went wrong with it all but at this point its anyones guess. The place I bought the paint from also make custom airisole spray cans so if I give them my paint code again they will mix one up and I'll use it for touch up. The more I think about it, I beleive the it's appearing pink simply due to the massive amount of purple in contrast to the brushed aluminum which is just making it look lighter. I'll probably order a can of red spray paint from then as well and mask off a few places and do some stripes just to offset the purple. Worse comes to works, I can always fall back on truckbed liner DT, I remember now someone mentioning getting a water filter, but I had forgotten so that could be the cause. Anyways, how long should I wait before I compound the paint so it gets a nice shine to it? I've done a little bit on the bottom of the lower fairing and it didn't mess with the paint, but I didn't want to go any further for fear of causing more chipping.

Thanks,
Sepias
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 08:07 AM

post a pic so we can tease you about pinky lol
but seriously good luck...paint is not my forte.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Meat_Shield
...paint is not my forte.
It's apparently not mine either lol. I'll pull it out of the garage today and post a pic or two. Vipes came out yesterday and said it's not bad, just a light purple so it might just be me being hyper-critical.

Sepias
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 01:01 PM

Look at in in the correct side that women like pink or sub for purple.

To think you went to all that elbow work of where your arm was about to fall off.

I would stick with something basic like black, matt black, white, yellow, green, or such & besides I would have someone else do it, with my knowledge said colour is going to come out as the print shows.

Only thing I have ever painted were the mudguard stays that I personally built & it was done by a brush & striaght out of a can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode