gsxr1000 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

gsxr1000

I just recently purchased a 2002 GSX-R 1000 in great condition for a great price. I've never ridden a 1000 before, and have only been riding for about a year now, but I couldnt pass up the price. (Yeah its that low) I have ridden many 600s before, but never one of my own. For I had a zuki gs500 for my first bike. I realize that the 1000s are a much bigger bike, heavier, with very different suspension, gear ratios, etc. Not to mention the extremely sensitive throttle. But heres the kicker, I'm 6'4" 250lbs. All the other bikes make me look like a monkey riding a football.

I am a conservative rider, I dont like going blinding speeds, however, I have a tremendous respect for the bike's power.

My question is: Should I sell it off for profit and get a 600 and work my way back up? -or- Work with the 1000 slowly but surely and get used to it?

Basically, is it really THAT bad, to the point where I am facing inevitable death?

Last edited by jrc52; 05-04-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 04:35 PM

Its all about self control and wether you feel comfortable with it or not. A person can start on R1 for a new bike and be just fine, most people wont be, but some will. You have riding experience, albeit not a whole lot, so you would be above the avereage curve. It all comes down to how you feel about the decision and your own feelings about your self control. Depending on what I paid for the bike and how much I stood to profit in the resale I might sell it, but it just comes down to you. If you decide to keep it, just take it very easy and treat it like you did you 500 when you first got it. Its going to take alot of getting use to I'll bet.

Good luck,
Sepias
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 04:37 PM

Personally, if you haven't learned how to really ride a sports bike yet, modern 600's are still better than 1000's in the learning curve. A gs500 is totally different than a modern 600, just as a modern 600 is totally different than 1000's. Your leaping 2 folds in and having 4x the power. If you know how to ride it good or don't really speed/take curves, then don't sweat it and ride the 1000.

1000's are more powerful and with modern bikes, they aren't that much heavier than 600's now (maybe 5-10 lbs different) but have 2x the power. They provide a harsher learning curve when leaning and doing twisties cause they provide soo much power and if you don't acclerated evenly during cornering, you'll break traction of the rear tire really easily. Which could lead to you crashing.

Its really up to you.

Last edited by JBaz; 05-04-2006 at 04:40 PM.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 04:45 PM

Grow into it

By the sounds of your post you seem like a responsible rider. That being said, I think you're already on track to grow into the bike. I'd say keep it and increase your skills with it.

I will say this though - the more you ride a liter bike the more you'll probably not want to go any smaller than that. I know that's what's happened with me. I started off on a Honda CB 750, dropped down a few years later to a sport 6 and 4 years ago I picked up my 1100. I can't imagine riding anything smaller than a liter anymore.

Keep that bad boy - I've heard its a great bike! Good luck!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 05:01 PM

They are great bikes, but remember. He's jumping from a gs500 (an inline 2 engine) with a peak power of 47hp (35-40 bhp) to something that has 170+hp (165 bhp) I4 engine with a powerband that's very sick. Gixxer 1000's 2001+ are great bikes, but be warned, take it easy and slow still.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 05:12 PM

The one thing that gets me is people thinking since they're of big stature, they need a 1000 over a 600.

A 1000 isn't physically any bigger than a 600. If it is, maybe by an inch or so. You probalby look more like a monkey fucking a football riding a GSXR over the GS500 due to a more extreme seating position. A race rep has to be the worst bike when it comes to comfort.

Anyway, you got the bike already, you have to make the call. If you want to play it safe, take it real easy for a while, and push yourself more and more by tiny amounts. If you feel like everytime you're out riding your litre bike that you're nervously spending too much time thinking "don't screw up, don't screw up," then you probably want to go down in power for a bit. You have to be comfortable with your bike to increase your skills.

Remember to keep all your brake & throttle inputs smoooth.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 05:18 PM

The gixxers are one of the most comfortable Race Replica bikes I think.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JBaz
The gixxers are one of the most comfortable Race Replica bikes I think.
You know, I haven't ridden a race rep in a while(learned on them), since my last bike was a Katana, and now the VFR. I was at a dealer last weekend and sat on a R1. Not nearly as bad as I figured it would be. Knees were definitely more cramped than on my bike, but not too bad. I'm sure riding would be night and day compared to my Sherman tank though.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 05:29 AM

jrc - you will hurt yourself just as bad on a 600 as on a 1000, just maybe a little quicker on the 1000. if you play it safe and ease your way into the bike, i see no reason why you cant keep the 1000.

plus 600's these days are pretty much the same speed 0-60 as liters, just liters have way more pull in the upper speeds, so i mean unless you plan on consistently running 100+ mph (i mean i know we all do it sometimes, but just not all the time!), i wouldnt worry about it. ive been on a gix1k, its a hell of a bike. be careful, have fun.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 06:07 AM

GS 500 to GSXR 1000

Well, having ridden for a year, you at least have the basics. Given that you got such a good deal on the GSXR, it'd be a shame not to keep it. (How much did you pay for it anyway?)

You know what's really nuts- the GSXR is no heavier than 20 lbs more over your previous GS 500, yet has literally 4 TIMES the amount of rear wheel horsepower. Needless to say, this is going to be a radical step up for you.

Just be very careful. Throttle control will be of paramount importance. If you grab anywhere even close to the amount of throttle on a corner exit as you're used to on the 500, you'll be highsided right into the stratosphere.

Congratulations on the new ride, and best of luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode