well...got my first ticket - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

well...got my first ticket

thats right i got my first ticket today.

get this shit, he gave me a ticket for an "unsafe lane change!" wtf is that. no speeding or nothing. he even told me that "its the end of the month and i guess you got lucky" WTF! he even threatened me with reckless driving where he can take my bike away for 30 days and screw me on insurance. well i guess i did get lucky as far as that goes. he said that when i was lane splitting to get up to the front of the line at the red light i didnt stay in my lane. WTH is that! i'm splitting lanes! apparently the law is that when you are doing that you have to stay on the driverside of the lane or its illegal.

anyway i gotta call the court on monday to find out if i can just pay them or if i have to go to court. it better not be an insane ticket or i will contest it. i try to follow all the laws to avoid this kind of thing...it just pisses me off sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:45 PM

He was just looking for a reason to pull you, thats all it was. If its more than $50 I would contest the thing. In FL 9/10 times when you contest the cop wont show up and you get off. Sorry to hear you got pulled, only 2 more and you will catch me

Sepias
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

thx, they cant slap me with the reckless if the cop does show up? can they?

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:56 PM

question: Was traffic stopped?

I do believe lane splitting in CA is legal. And that cop seems to be a dumbass because if you lane split between cars, there will always be a driver side (unless you lane split on the shoulder, which I think would seem like a safer thing compared to lane splitting between cars where a car from either lane could switch and cut you off). My thought is that the cop doesn't know the law, hates bikes, and wants to take it out on.

Talk to a cop friend or someone who knows the law and find out if he had the right to pull you over. If he doesn't have probable cause to pull you over, the ticket is bogus, but it sounds bogus in the first place.

Also, if the cop does show up to court and you can't get it dropped, get it continued, grab a lawyer and drag that cop basturd out of his job for being a douche. I swear, the few douche bag cops make the entire cop force seem like bad people. I hate cops who try to threat you with bogus charges. He def needs to lose his job and take up a fast food job.

oh, btw, whatever charges the cop gave you on the citation is what you will be 'charged' for on that court date. He just can't simply add more charges.

Last edited by JBaz; 04-28-2006 at 04:02 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 04:05 PM

If the cop doesn't show up, in florida atleast, the charge is dropped. If he does, then its up for review and you have to prove your side. If he doesn't have it on dash cam, then its your word against his, and the cop will probly win. If it is on dash cam the it will show who was in the right by law. If somehow you loose the case, I beleive you are charged a court fee, which may be more than the ticket, but I'm not sure. Good luck if you take that route.

Sepias
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 04:12 PM

It's actually considered "lane sharing" and not lane splitting I think. It's kinda retarded but I can kinda see a (dick) cop saying you're unsafely switching lane to lane in between cars as a technicality. I've always thought that lane splitting was done on the passenger side lane (your left lane) and not the driver's side (right lane). Sorry to hear it happen to you man.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 04:21 PM

I hate lane splitting in my area, as its also illegal, its totally dangerous because of the god damn idiots on the road (specially with cell phones). I've had people almost hit me when I was riding the shoulder and the cars had no where to go. They would just stick out and try to stop as though they got some grudge against me. I've had people honk their horns at me.

Shit, if I'm only going 15mph or so on the shoulder to bypass traffic to make the next turn, its not like its a totally bad thing. I think we need to take cell phones off the road. I had some woman drive through a stop sigh at like 30 mph with me going 45 on the road. I swirved and just passed her on the one lane road.

Tell that cop to go take idiot drivers off the road.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

oh ya traffic was stopped, but it was a long line of cars and you know they park all over the lanes so i had to kinda weave to get around them.

well i dont think i'll lawyer up as i dont got that kind of cash but i will definitly appear in court. the worst thing that could happen is i have to pay the ticket or whatever, and if he doesnt, i'm good. also i think maybe traffic school may help out with points and such.

Last edited by Meat_Shield; 04-28-2006 at 07:14 PM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 07:11 PM

I agree completly that talking on the cellphone while driving should be illegal. It's been proven to be as bad or worse than drinking and driving. It's legal to lane split in FL, but I dont do it becuase... well anyone who has been to FL knows how bad the drivers down here are. Its hard enough not to get hit in the middle of my lane, much less inbetween two.

Sepias
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
anyone who has been to FL knows how bad the drivers down here are.

Sepias
you ain't lying. I live in Houston, Tx and from what I've witnessed Floridians have to be the absolute worst drivers around. It's not really that they don't know how to drive but more like they don't care about anyone else on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode