safety course - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

safety course

I bought my first bike in january, and it's getting inspected as i'm typing. i thought about taking a safety course, for the simple reason of being licensed. is the class worth the time or should i just schedule a license test? i have about 8 years dirt bike experience, but only about 2 hours sportbike experience. is there really anything i could learn that i wouldn't learn with practice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 09:33 PM

Hi want2ride-

The extra practice during a safety course will certainly assist you in passing any state-administered roadtests.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 09:35 PM

Not only will you learn, but you'll learn the right way first. You can learn through trial and error, but you never know which error will be the last one. Just remember, the rider coach is there to help you, not argue with you. Dirt bike experience helps, but the class will help you get a feel for your new bike. So my recommendation is to take the course. Congrats on the bike and good luck with the class.

John B.
I could stop if I wanted to.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 02:37 AM

out in california they call it the "msf' class... i took it and it cost me 198.00 bucks. but i was new at riding.... so i thought i could use all the help i could get. i just loved it !! and i passed !!! and after ya pass you can get a better deal on insurance !! the only sad thing about the class i was in " the standerds" arnt set to high !! this girl droped her bike 3 times... and she still passed. but i still think the class is an A+....... bulldogboogers
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 04:48 AM

Take the course. You'll get your license faster, you'll get a better insurance rate, and you'll gain more confidence in your riding ability.

There are little habits you develop dirtbiking that don't go well with riding on the street. The course will help you un-learn them.

It's worth the money.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 06:01 AM

I took the MSF after already putting at least a couple thousand miles on the the street. I say it was still 110% worth it. Even if you pick up one good habit from it that would save you in an emergency situation, don't you think it's worthwhile?

Also, you get an insurance discount, and even though it's obviously geared towards complete beginners, it still had it's fun parts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bulldogboogers
out in california they call it the "msf' class... i took it and it cost me 198.00 bucks. but i was new at riding.... so i thought i could use all the help i could get. i just loved it !! and i passed !!! and after ya pass you can get a better deal on insurance !! the only sad thing about the class i was in " the standerds" arnt set to high !! this girl droped her bike 3 times... and she still passed. but i still think the class is an A+....... bulldogboogers
Weird because here in florida if you drop your bike once during the test part you fail.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 07:27 AM

i mis-worded that !!! during the test she did fine. but in the 2 days of learning to ride the bike. on the driving range.... she droped it 3 times. and these were small bikes. on the final day of class, she drives up in a pick-up truck with her "old man" and guess what was in the back of the truck straped down?? 2005 harley. she asked the instructors if she could take the riding part of the test on her new bike........ they said no. still to this day i have often wonderd if she is still riding a harley !!!..... bulldogboogers
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 07:51 AM

Funny enough, they are called "MSF" here in NC too... lol. But seriously, you may not need to take it, but it will only help you out. There are some differences between dirt bikes and street bikes, the main difference is the riding environment since street bikes, you'd have to pay more attention to your surroundings such as traffic, road conditions, and other hazards. I've learned quite a bit through their in-class portion of the course that I would have never thought about for safety. It is very informative and very well organized safety course.

The MSF course is not operated by the DMV so they know what the hell they are doing. My instructor said that the NC DMV written test was so idiotic that if you followed their rulebook, you'd surely get yourself killed because it had so much missing information and wrong advice on how to ride. MSF stands for Motorcycle Safety Foundation. In most states, when you take it and complete it, you get a certificate to bring to your DMV to recieve a full endorsement as well as most insurance companies, depending on the state you live in, will give you a % discount off your insurance rates.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 08:24 AM

Definatly take the course. There were people in my class when I took it that had been riding for years. One of them was 60 and had never owned a car, just bikes, and said he learned quite a bit from the class that he had never learned on the road. Its definatly worth it.

Sepias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode