I like gadgetry but this is stupid - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

I like gadgetry but this is stupid

link

A wind turbine powered brake light? I cant help but laugh

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:30 AM

I don't know whats worse. The fact that someone made it, or that someone agreed to try and sell it. You could run that thing off a friggin watch battery, so why go through the trouble of screwing up your helmet with that huge thing? were they thinking?
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
8 red LED lights provide added visibility
For what? 2 feet in front of you? If anyone buys this they have to be complete douches!

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:42 AM

jokes on me then cuz i dont think its too bad of a deal......
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
were they thinking?
Well, the fact of the matter is that if you drive a motorcycle, therefore you have a helmet, therefore you want to be safe and have some sort of product that makes you visible. Now if they sell that product and someone buys it, they figure you got suckered into buying such a useless product that you'd prolly need to wear the helmet full time, on and off the bike. Everyone knows, safety first! Thanks special Ed!
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan6615
For what? 2 feet in front of you? If anyone buys this they have to be complete douches!
For you to BE SEEN, not for you TO SEE. Douche.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 02:58 PM

Hi All-

To supplement my motorcycle taillamps I use one of those little LED safety lights that runners/bicyclists popularized a few years ago clipped to my leathers. They run practically forever on a set of inexpensive AA batteries. Just set it to a steady glow so motorists don't think you have on hazard lights or something.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 05:28 AM

^thats different. its not wind powered. I bet your device is as small or smaller then a cell phone. This wind powered one looks so damn big and bulky.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 05:38 AM

Plus, in order to be wind powered, it would have to produce some added level of drag. Even though it wouldn't be much, you would still probobly feel it, especially on longer rides.

Sepias
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 06:07 AM

I'd expect it to have a wind turbine and yes it'll create drag, but it depends on how big the turbine will be and how much force it requires spin the turbine to produce energy. You'd prolly won't even notice the drag, not even on long rides because its prolly not using that much force to spin the turbine (prolly the size of a dime and made out of plastic).

The thing is that when there's no wind involved, I'd expect it not to produce any energy so it won't supply any power if your stopped. I bet they have a warning label on there stating that you'd have to go a certain speed for the turbine to produce enough power to be visible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode