Radar Signal Detector - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Radar Signal Detector

Do you use it on your bike? What's a good, reliable one, and what would be the detection range and accuracy? How did you set it up on your bike, and how much? Thanks. I think along with gears to wear, it's one of the must have for a sportbike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 12:58 PM

I've been looking around at them for a while, wanting to get one as well. My tech teacher has gone through several so I'll get some reviews off him. As for wiring it they unit, they usually run off a 12volt cigarett lighter plug, so I was just going to go down to my local auto store and pick one up for 5 bucks and wire it to the battery, though a 10amp fuse. They also come with little window mounting harnesses, that are suction cups, but I was gunna drill a set of holes in my windscreen and bolt it on. It needs to be set as high as you can so it can pick up the signal. Most detectors cost less than my average ticket, $200, so its a wise investment in my book. Make sure you get just a detector, not a scrambler. Your allowed to have a detector in FL, but the scramblers are illegal... and easy to detects by the cops.

Sepias
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 01:09 PM

Hi All-

What about one of those wireless radar detectors. One of my friends used a model called a "SOLO" but that's about all I know about it. Couldn't tell you about the performance, but the lack of wires sure made for a clean install.

~ Blue Jays ~

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 01:15 PM

The problem I see with those is that they would lack power and therefore lack the ability to pick up the signal, but they do make for a very clean install. I haven't looked at them closely though. You just need to make sure that you pull it off your bike when you park it, or someone will steal it, but thats the same for any detector really.

Sepias
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 09:22 PM

Hi SepiasSoul-

Yup, kind of like the difference between running a laptop computer off the battery as compared to having it plugged-in to an outlet. Everything works more efficiently with a better and cleaner supply of power.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 01:57 PM

My friend swears by the Valentine brand radar/laser detectors. ( i wanna say it is V1 model or something).
they are pricey, 300$ i think...but he has NEVER gotten caught, and he is never under 100 on the highway.

it is nice because it has arrows pointing which direction the signal is comming from (infront or behind you).
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 01:59 PM

well let me clarify.to my understanding you can really "detect" a laser hit until it actaually hits you...then this thing goes crazy and you can hope to get off on the next exit or sidestreet and loose the cop haha....not that hes done that before or anything
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

You can or can't? I'm sorry I didn't understand. I have very little knowledge about it, except I see quite a few ricers and Evo owners carry them around. Fact that they're pitifuly speeding often and still probably don't get pulled over as much, seems to indicate it works somewhat.

But if you're saying that the detector can't pickup the signal until it hits the speeding vehicle, then it would be pointless. By then the cop would've already picked up the current speed. I figured it works by picking up a random signal emitted into the air from the radar in a patrol car.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:40 PM

It depends on the detector and the type of gun the cop is using. If its a radar gun then the detector will pick up the stray microwaves from other cars the cop has aimed at. If the cop is using a laser detector, like the handheld guns, then it wont go off until the laser hits you. The good news is, most police cars only have the radar version and the lasers are usually just used at speed traps. The overall range of detection isn't fantastic with them, usually its about a 10 second heads up at most. If your in a car its not enough time to really react and slow down, but on a bike you can just about stop in that amount of time.

Sepias
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:41 PM

yeah sorry, to my understanding a laser beam that measures your speed does not really spread out the signal like a radar.
think of like a laser pointer....the red dot is focused more than say a light bulb...if that makes sense.

and therefore can NOT be detected ahead of time, until it actually hits you.

so, it could possibly give you a little help, knowing you may be able to duck off the road you are on...but you are right...not as much protection from radar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode