Best Deals - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Best Deals

I have a 2005 Yamaha R6. when I get funds together, I am looking to add a power commander, exhaust K&N air filter and a steering stabilizer. My question, being with all of the availability of parts both online and in shops, where is the best deal? Or are they all pretty similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Strength and Honor

Can't address new. But I'd recommend picking up used stuff (excluding air filters) at an R6-specific forum where you can review the owner's history (if that matters to you).

What's an exhaust K&N?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

oops. missed the comma. I am thinking power commander, probably a leo vince exhaust, and the K&N. I will probably go all new with the stuff. I am just one of those guys that doesn't trust used stuff much on my bike. Maybe some things here and there, but when my tail is on the line for it, I want to be able to trust my equipment 100%.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 04:14 PM

K&N filters used or new, are suppose to be good for 100k miles. You just have to wash and reoil them after some 8k miles. As for the power commander, its not really that necessary, but it does give you quite a bit of power if and only if you have a pipe. Slip-on's give some more power, but to really take advantage of the power commander, you'd might look into getting a full system.

When you get your exhaust, try looking around first to see if PCIII maps have been made for that exhaust slip-on or system with or w/o performance filters. That'll save you a lot of tinkering or paying someone else to tune your bike properly so your getting the optimal performance.

Note: Power command will make your bike eat more gas then normal. Two of my friend's bike's have PCIII on a 954 and a gixxer 600. They have been averaging mid 20's mpg. They also have been having some electrical PCIII problems
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

That was one of my concerns (electrical issues). Let me put this out there then. If I went with the full system and a K&N, would I have to get my bike's brain remapped, or would it figure it out? Assuming I did away with the power commander. Part of the reason for having the thing is the fuel efficiency.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 07:03 AM

Hi MSMYTH-

Another thing that may or may not affect engine performance is the altitude of Colorado Springs as compared to lower parts of the country...I don't know, but that might be worth a few questions to the experts.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Altitude definitely plays a part. That's why I went fuel injection this time.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 07:36 AM

using the stock computer with stock mapping, you may notice a few power gains with a full system and air filter, but it won't be taken to its full advantaged till its tuned/mapped correctly for optimal power and fuel usage. My friend's PCIII's aren't mapped correctly, hinse their horrible gas milage. It's hard to use their software if your new to it and finding someone in my area to map the bike correctly is almost impossible. I say check online if they have premapped your bike setup, then get PCIII, if not. Check around bike shops and see who can map your bike for like 50 bucks. The PCIII default mapping settings will use more gas and you'll end up with some flames coming out of the exhaust.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

That is what I figured. I know of a shop about an hour from where I live that if I purchase through them, they said they will throw my bike on the dyno both before and after installation and do a custom map for my bike. There is only one shop in my town with a dyno and they are a few weeks out. Plus I heard (haven't checked it out with the shop) that they don't give you the maps that come with the software in town here. They only load they map they they feel you need and want to charge you if you need to come back. I want to achieve some power upgrades without too much $$$ involved, but not screw up the performance too much. Am I asking too much?? I know the upgrades will probably run about $2000, but if I am spending that much, I want to be assured that my ride doesn't get screwed up.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 10:26 AM

Hi MSMYTH-

If the upgrade is going to run nearly $2000 plus the potential for increased fuel consumption and decreased reliability...what about selling the current motorcycle in stock condition and migrating to a larger-displacement 1000cc model with a fresh warranty?

~ Blue Jays ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode