I'm Still Alive! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

I'm Still Alive!

A bud of mine came to town this weekend and along with him brough his cbr1000rr I've only been riding my ninja for a couple of months now. And reading all the posts here have scared the living shit out of me when it comes to litre bike. haha But i just had to see what it was all about, so after begging him a good half hour i finally convinced him to let me ride his bike around. I've gotta say it feels a lot more smooth and stable than my ninja. As long as you keep it in lower rpms and shift early the things a kitten. So i'm wondering how many more hours i've gotta put in on my ninja before i can move up to a more powerful bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 03:10 PM

i thinnk 3 more hours should do the trick
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Not that i hate riding my ex500. But it's like this bike is so old that it's more twitchy into corners then a new supersport. I maybe the frame is bent up or something, the engine is all jerky too. It's also the lack of "bling" that makes me want to look into a 600 ss. But insuring a 600 is a totally different story all together. I'm already paying almot 2000 a year for insurance. Don't want to know what i'd cost to jump to a supersport.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 04:34 PM

It's self control. I'm the type who'll make my 600 scream whenever I see an open space to accelerate. Same with 1000, the gremlin on back of my head will egg me on to twist the throttle faster and see what happens. It's not the speed, but the fun and curiousity of accelerating. But with that 1000, I know I might up on my back.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 04:42 PM

I agree with Z. Its all about self control. I started on a 750, against everyones suggestions, but I took it really easy and did alright. I'm not saying go out and get a bigger bike, but Im also not saying you couldn't do it. Why are you paying $2000 for insurance? Do you have full converage or something?!?! If you jump up a few CC's dont go full insurance unless you buy a brand new bike. I only have liability which is all that FL law requires. It costs me $250 for the year.

If your interested in a higher CC bike take your friend for a ride on your 500, or have him follow you on his 1000, and see what he thinks. Anouther route is to take an objective observation of your progression thus far and see if you think you are ready for it. Most people tend to be their own worst critic. I know I am. Your the final and only person that you need to convince when your ready for a new bike, everyone else can just offer opinions.

Sepias
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 04:43 PM

Stayin' Alive

Hi mike_drz:

Glad to hear you're Stayin' Alive these days...

~ Blue Jays ~
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all good advice, I've been blinded by the bikes appeal. lol As for the insurance i live up in canada, the insurance premiums here are just insane. I'm only paying lyability on my old ex500 no comp. and i'm paying that much. Some guys i know with 1000 cc bikes have paid 10,000 a year. I think that's gonna be the deciding factor for what i end up riding. For now i'll just stick to the ninja and maybe a couple of seasons from now i'll be able to affoard something worth waxing. lol
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 05:08 PM

i dont know anything but i would say longer than a few months considering if you plan on riding for a long time there will always be time to grow and get bigger bikes.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 10:11 PM

Hi mike_drz:

Paying a total of $10,000 per year in insurance premiums is outrageous! Delay getting a larger motorcycle if simply to deny these vile bloodsuckers any additional revenue. What a nightmare you've described.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 05:55 AM

Hey Mike,

$2000.00 a yr on an EX 500 is crap, even up here in the great white north!! Do you have a bunch of tickets or something?

I live in Kingston, and I pay $720 a yr on my Gixxer 750.

Here's a link to a T.O. based board, listing Motorcycle friendly insurance places in Ontario.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/forum/v...ic.php?t=29688
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode