Helmets - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Helmets

I've always thought helmets were too constricting and cut down on your vision and hearing too much, But I'm alot older now and two kids later, I'm considering wearing one. In Illinois we don't have a helmet law but I'm riding 70 miles a day which 60 of that is interstate speeds 70 to 90 so you don't get run over. So my question is do the full faced hemets feel like their going to rip your head off at 80 mph or do they help on blocking the wind and help keep the 40 degree temp out of your face in the morning??

I know better alittle discomfort that your head splattered on the interstate!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 01:16 PM

Re: Helmets

Quote:
Originally posted by Tribby
I've always thought helmets were too constricting and cut down on your vision and hearing too much, But I'm alot older now and two kids later, I'm considering wearing one. In Illinois we don't have a helmet law but I'm riding 70 miles a day which 60 of that is interstate speeds 70 to 90 so you don't get run over. So my question is do the full faced hemets feel like their going to rip your head off at 80 mph or do they help on blocking the wind and help keep the 40 degree temp out of your face in the morning??

I know better alittle discomfort that your head splattered on the interstate!!!!
IMO a full face helmet is the only way to go at high speeds. They help to cut down the roaring sound of the wind, help actually increase your vision because you dont have to squant your eyes because of the wind, and they help keep all the damn bugs out of your eyes and mouth! I havent noticed that my helmets wants to come off, IF IT IS TIGHTLY SECURED.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 01:22 PM

+1

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
It all depends on the helmet. I have had ICON and SHOEI. Both good helmets, the shoei seems to stay in place better at higher speeds due to more padding. The ICON was noisy and moved alot, but had a half naked girl on the side too

My new shoeit is like a pillow. I sjust got it friday, the Picotte Jester.... fitting if you think about it. I can't wait to ride now!

As for cold, look into hooded thing, forgot how to spell the name, sounds like a greek desert. Still get a little cold, but not as much.

Good luck, ride safe!

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 01:36 PM

Re: Helmets

Quote:
Originally posted by Tribby
...I know better alittle discomfort that your head splattered on the interstate!!!!
You're only just now realising this??????????

Full-faced helmets have better aerodynamics than your head does, so you'll likely notice a marked DECREASE in the amount of buffeting you get at 80mph. Top that off with no more bugs in your teeth and protection from rain, cold and bitumen and they sound appealling, hey?

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 01:44 PM

Differences between balaclavas and baklava

Hi Jester-

This is a balaclava. It is made of silk or wool and can be worn underneath a helmet to provide additional protection from the elements:

This is a baklava. It is made with thin phyllo dough, butter, tender chopped nuts, cinnamon, honey, and other flavors:

~ Blue Jays ~
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 01:45 PM

no to mention the occasional rock that bounces off your visor
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 01:48 PM

Re: Differences between balaclavas and baklava

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jays
This is a balaclava...

...This is a baklava...

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 01:53 PM

Hi All-

Protection in an along-the-asphalt accident requires minimal explanation...

Use of my quality Arai helmets coupled with top-of-the-line earplugs have allowed me to retain my hearing after years of motorcycling. Wearing a helmet will allow a rider to go both farther and faster in MUCH more comfort.

A cicada or small bird to the shield while wearing a helmet is an event that one will mention to fellow riders for a few days and then forget about it. An unprotected rider slamming into a sparrow at 70 m.p.h. can be swept off his/her bike and be involved in a fatal accident.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 03:01 PM
jab

there is absolutely no down side to wearing a helmet. Period. You can hear better due to wind nott blowing in your ears, you can see better, and ofcourse it will most likely save your head if you go down. I once went down at about 20 mph, doesnt sound like much, but in this particular crash I scraped the face gaurd portion of my helmet the whole time I was sliding which wasnt far. This was the worst my facial part of any helmet has ever been damaged, even though it was one of my milder crashes, would have destroyed my face if I hadnt had a helmet on. I once flipped an endo at about 35 and didnt get a scratch, just goes to show you never know when it will help, so wear it all the time. no exceptions. My
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode