Rear end sliding up - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Rear end sliding up

I was riding home from class today and the car infront of me decided to peg the brakes. I got on my front and rear and my rear locked up without to much pressure and slid about 10 or 20 degrees to the right with the bars staying straight. This isn't the first time its happened, but its the first time I've been able to atribute it to my rear brake. Any ideas what could cause this or a way to remedy it? The tires were cold since I had just left campus but I dont know if that alone would cause this.

Thanks,
Sepias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:46 PM

Tire being cold is a big contributor. Personally I think its fun when you lock your rear end and sliding around, but it burns rubber. I don't do it traffic unless I need to. When I go stunting, I do some practice slidings. Not only can they be fun and dangerous, but if you start slow slides and build your way up, you can learn on how to control emergency stops when you need to in real situations.

Last year, I had to do this after a small pickup truck turns in front of me and stops due to traffic and I do a 90 degree slide right up to its rear bumper. I was about 6 inches away from hitting the truck in the process.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Yea I agree its fun, but I'm still curious as to the exact problem so I dont scare myself shitless due to not expecting it.

Sepias

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:58 PM

cold tire
performance rear brakes (never get them, they lock the rear so easily).

Oh a remedy to fix that would be to do a burn out before you ride... but the neighbors wouldn't like that.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:23 PM

and if you lock your rear brake, hold it till you stop or you might highside off that [email protected]

if you lock the front, let it go for a sec then gradually brake again...
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:46 PM

I haven't touched my rear brake lever in a couple of years.

My rear brakes are just there as an emergency back-up incase something happens to my front brakes.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 10:42 PM

its really just a parking brake
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 05:52 AM

Ley off the rear brake. When you hit the brakes, weight transfers forward. Hard braking puts 99% of the weight on the front. Traction of a function of material properties and weight, and if the weight is near zero, it doesnt matter if your rear tire is coated with superglue, it still wont maintain traction worth a damn.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Ley off the rear brake. When you hit the brakes, weight transfers forward. Hard braking puts 99% of the weight on the front. Traction of a function of material properties and weight, and if the weight is near zero, it doesnt matter if your rear tire is coated with superglue, it still wont maintain traction worth a damn.
yup, this is why you always see front brakes being bigger then the rear brakes on bikes, cars, buses, trucks, you name it.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

I rarely use my rear either, just when I need to stop fast like I did then. I usually will just engine brake the rear and use the front. I dont know if they are performance brakes or not, I wont need to replace them for a long while anyways. The are still at aroun 70 percent. I dont think doing a burn out before I start would be a great idea, especially since I live in a retirement comunity. They might not appreciate it to much

Sepias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode