The ride home tonight - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

The ride home tonight

Tonight, we had this huge rain storm. The radar showed purple on the screen, 1st time I've seen that before. The temps drop from 80's to the 40's damn fast and my bike has a bit of a problem when the carbs are cold, not to mention some sort of electrical problem.

When I was about to leave work around 6pm and get ready to start the bike up, I turn the starter and the engine would turn but since the carbs were cold it wouldn't stay on for long. I tried to start it with the choke for about 5 mins, then my battery gets low. I try to clutch start it, same thing again, it starts, but won't stay on since its cold. I tried that for about 20 mins in the empty parking lot, atleast almost no one was there. I did look foolish.

So around 6:30 my boss' boss (the VP of Marketing), who I don't fraternize much since everytime I talk to him I fear that he'll just fire me for being young, walks out the building. He offers to help and I refused the first time telling him I'll give the ole cbr one more chance. I tried another 5 times. At this point, I was getting tired and the battery was just about dead. He drives up and offers help again. I accepted this time. He gave me a ride to my house, which was the opposite direction of his house.

We had a nice chat and it turns out he used to be a motorcycle rider a while back and remembered the old days about the finiky carbs and cold days of when they didn't start. But everytime I spoke I was like "Don't say anything stupid, you might get fired". He dropped me off at my house and I got some tools and went back to pick up the bike with my dad. Jumped the cbr and got her home.

In this story I also have a question, what would be a cause of my electrical problem? Whenever I start the bike up the battery would go dead if I hold the starter for more than 10 seconds and the bike won't start on its own. I've only had this of becoming a problem since december. I have a new battery in it since then as I was thinking it was that. I've also experimented with starting out with a low battery and running the bike around, the battery would become charged enough to start the bike out on its own. Every time I rev the engine, I can see that the bike makes more voltage from the intensity of the headlights becoming brighter after 3k revs. I also realize that the battery won't be charged by the bike until the engine hits 5k. Should I look into the alternator? I also heard the rectifier maybe a source of the problem, but I don't see how.

Sorry for long story and series of questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:12 PM

I have the same problem with my bike on cold days. I tend to get it to turn over a little and then slowly roll on the throttle, and pray it doesn't stall. I don't know if yours is on long enough to try that one though. I have killed my batt on several ocasions trying to get it going on cold mornings. If you get any good solutions to the cold weather let me know, I hate looking like a fool trying to get my bike running. Especially when other people walk over to their fuel injected bastereds and have them turn right over

Sepias
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:25 PM

Hi JBaz-

If you anticipate cold weather at work, is there any possible way you can park at the top of a decent hill? At least that way you could put the motorcycle in second gear coasting down the incline and hit the starter button to get the engine to fire...

~ Blue Jays ~

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

The mid-afternoon thunderstorm was a complete suprise to me and the temp dropped so fast. I had my jacket and short pants. The thing is that I work at RTP where everything is office buildings or parking lots and everything is flat like an a-cup girl. I wouldn't have this problem if I didn't wreck my RR. Damnit.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:42 PM

or just let your clutch out. my first bike had a fucked starter so i had to push start that little gem every time. hadnt had to push start a bike in about 5 years and i still sometimes catch myself scoping the landscape looking for a nice hill to park at the top of...HA HA!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:43 PM

What about the GSXR600?

Sepias
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sampleofme
or just let your clutch out. my first bike had a fucked starter so i had to push start that little gem every time. hadnt had to push start a bike in about 5 years and i still sometimes catch myself scoping the landscape looking for a nice hill to park at the top of...HA HA!
I tried that in 2nd gear after the batt got low. Engine would turn and rev to 3k for a split second then die.

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
What about the GSXR600?
Its still in the works. Haven't worked on the bike in about 3 weeks. Needs some more parts and I found out the rims I bought from some guy turned out to be the wrong set even after making sure with the guy that it was from an 05 gixxer. Damn fucking lying POS' and he still hasn't given me my damn rotors yet. Not to mention I lost 800 bucks due to taxes and another 800-1000 bucks in the past month due to traffic viloations and lawyer fee's. I'm god damn broke!

Last edited by JBaz; 04-17-2006 at 07:54 PM.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:53 PM

Sorry to hear about it. If its any consolation, I'm broke too

Sepias
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

atleast you live in Florida where the weather is always nice.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 08:16 AM

Hey sugar--

I just had the same problem and it turned out to be the rectifier. Simple fix if it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode