tankslapper? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

tankslapper?

hey since another forum i got to can be a bunch of assholes, can someone explain what a tankslapper is?

i just treid to ask a simple question about how people sit up and or what position they use to sit up when using only one hand on the bike. they said id have to ask squids when the simple fact of the matter is i see about 90% of sport bike riders doing this and there fully geared driving safe speeds etc. while i admit it may not be the safest way to ride im just curious. ive seen some lean over tanks, some with fist on knee, others hand on hip etc.

so any actual real info would be great thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 04:51 PM

Hi SkinnyJ-

The brief definition of a tankslapper is oscillations from the front wheel and forks that will cause a motorcycle to become virtually uncontrollable. The reason it is called a tankslapper is because the handlebars will virtually "slap" the tank from both sides.

Here is a video of a tankslapper from the Isle of Man TT a few years ago.

~ Blue Jays ~

Last edited by Blue Jays; 04-16-2006 at 04:55 PM.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

hey thanks a bunch. nice video btw.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:32 PM

What is really insane is to think about a tankslapper having the force to sling the damn brake pads/pitons out on the front calipers to the point that you have to pump your brakes to get braking back.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:51 PM

Those are scary as hell...How do you even get into one?
Is it when you power wheelie and your bike loses alignment with the rear wheel?
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 06:03 PM

Allright, what am I not doing right to view that clip?
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 06:07 PM

Hi Dan6615-

Simply double-click on the picture once you've reached that site to launch the video footage.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 06:49 PM

Tank slappers are scary. I researched what causes them after I had a really severe one making a 1-2 high RPM upshift (very stupid of me). The rear tire momentarily spun too fast for the bike's speed and slipped. I, being a "normal" person gave in to my survival reaction to let off the throttle and the rear tire bit hard. Though my wheels were barely out of alignment it was enough to cause massive head shake and I thought I was going to lose it. Happily, I somehow managed to keep the rubber in contact with the road long enough for the shake to disappear.

I now know that the proper way to deal with a tankslapper is to lift your hips up away from the seat and hold the bars firmly without giving any steering input. It is natural during a tankslapper to deathgrip the bars and squeeze your knees together on the tank as though you were holding on to a bucking bronco. This action translates the shake from your hands to the rest of the bike and destabilizes it. Lifting your body off the seat essentially disconnects the handlebars from the body of the bike and your body acts as a damper to lessen the steering head oscillations and stabilize the bike.

You'll notice in the video posted by Blue Jays that the rider's feet are off the pegs and thus he can't disconnect the forks and the rear portion of the bike. Thus, he cannot sufficiently dampen the oscillations and he crashes.

Moral of the story, stay loose and lift your weight off the seat. Don't panic!!!
Here is a link to a more thorough explanation.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1460258

Last edited by UVaF4i; 04-16-2006 at 08:33 PM.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

ummm u seem to have forgotten to insert the link...
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 07:10 PM

humm, I always though a tank slapper was when you do a wheelie and the gas tanks hits your chest hard...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode