How many are in riding groups? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

How many are in riding groups?

Just wondering how many of you guys have joined riding groups and what ya think of them?

Today i visited my instructor from the m/c course i attended, he's gonna do some work on my bike ie raise it, (lowered by the woman who i bought it from) oil change, etc...

Anyways he invited me to join is riding group based out of Miami called "Street Soldiers"...sounds like it'd be a lot of fun, he's even getting a couple of riders from his West Palm Beach chapter to take a ride down to Miami with me when i take my bike to his shop later this week. haha Pretty cool if you ask me. I told him i might wait a couple more weeks to gain some more riding experience, but he said now is the perfect time...he likes having new riders join up so he can help them gain experience around other riders and under his supervision. It just sucks that i'm only gonna be around for a few more weeks till i move to Naples for the summer...guess i can get a few group rides in.

Btw, i thought this was pretty cool...a friend of mine's dad just traded is drag style chopper to have a BRAND NEW turbocharged 280hp Hayabusa built for him. He showed me pictures tonight of what it's gonna look like...this thing is gonna be SICK! Extended swing arm, lowered, all black...the rear tire is even fitted up under the rear seat. Run's about $45k and is supposed to be a 8 second bike....it even has two chains and sprockets in the rear which is crazy. Can't wait to see this beast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 10:29 PM

Get comfy riding in traffic before you do any group rides. You dont want to feel like an ass in the group, nor do you want to be above your means. A riding group to me is when more than one bike are riding together lol. I've ridden in one "group" since I got my bike, and that was when my neighbor followed me to the shop to get mine worked on Its a sad day when an HD follows you to the shop, and its not the one staying... back to the topic. Once your comfy have at it. I'm sure your instructor knows what he's doin since he teaches riders. Just dont feeled pressured, and dont pull squid moves and tear off down the road Glad to hear you've got a potential group, even if its just for a little while.

Sepias
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 10:41 PM

I'm a member of a riding club. I think it's great. Before I met up with these guys I rode by myself which wasn't much fun. And riding with a group exposes me to different riding techniques and tips from experienced riders, etc. The "Redline Member" in red in my signature line is a link to our website. The website is still a work in progress, but it's an idea of what we're all about. Hopefully you can find a group of great people to ride with too. Ride safe and have fun

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 12:04 AM

I found a great group called 2XS to ride with. Based out of South Jersey. It's a blast to ride with a group, especially one with a wide variety of people and no commitments. Anyone suggests a ride, sets up times and whomever can/wants to make it responds. After a while I got bored always riding alone. Mostly sportbikes it's a neutral group who's only agenda is to have fun. Works for me.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 03:34 AM

i dont know of any riding groups around here unless you you consider the exiles or the few chapters of the HA around here. i usaly ride alone or with a close friend but he sold his bike so hopefully ill find others to ride with. with most inportant thing about riding with others or in traffic is be relaxed, alert and comfortable, dont show off or ride beyond your ability.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Ya, the "showing off" thing is something that i want to avoid...i always seem to ride a little faster when i'm with other sport bikes haha. But i've shown pretty good self control so far which i'm happy with. I was coming back from Moroso dragstrip friday night and my friend took is bike up to 158 on a secondary highway...i got up to 110 and told me myself that was good enough for now which was a good choice.

I really like riding behind other bike's with more experienced riders, let's me get a good feel for braking, lines, and all round riding.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 10:48 AM
jab

Be careful riding behind people that you Think have more skills than you, following their lines will land you in the ditch in a heartbeat. I may be alone, but i think thats a recipe for disaster. I may be overreacting, as I rarely even ride with others, and if i do I space myself out. I dont want to hit them, or them hit me, when shtf.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 11:55 AM

sounds like you have a great opurtunity. and i wish i could find somthing like this (although im sure with time i will) but yea to have other people that are more experienced help you out or show you things sounds great. GL
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:53 PM

Hi All-

My favorite size group is four motorcycles all owned and ridden by good friends. This allows for plenty of laughs when you stop for hot coffee along the way and keeps the numbers completely manageable. Once the group swells beyond that, that is when the difficulties begin to develop, in my opinion.

There are plenty of times that I'm just as happy to head out for a couple miles of riding on my own. No muss, no fuss.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jab
Be careful riding behind people that you Think have more skills than you, following their lines will land you in the ditch in a heartbeat. I may be alone, but i think thats a recipe for disaster. I may be overreacting, as I rarely even ride with others, and if i do I space myself out. I dont want to hit them, or them hit me, when shtf.
Usually it's more watching their braking/speed/lines and then going in at my speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode