Fun on the bike or bordom in the car...? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Fun on the bike or bordom in the car...?

Well the daughter of my sister's bf is down here in Ocala FL for horseshow right now and i promised her i'd take a trip up and meet cuz she's always askin about me. She's 18 i'm 19

Anyways it's 240 miles and a 3 1/2 hour trip according to mapquest...the question is do a take the bike (03 CBR600F4i), or do i drive my turbo charged miata...? Neither would be too comfortable considering my suspension is stiff as hell on the miata. The only thing that makes me think twice about the bike is that the trip alone up/back would be more miles than i've even put on the bike yet...and i'm also 6'1. I'm not uncortable on the freeway at all but this is easter weekend, i'd be leaving early friday morning. The car is already sounding like it'd be better suited but i really want some solid time on my bike.

What do you guys think?...am i gonna need a wheel chair when i get off the bike in Ocala?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 06:31 PM

What's the longest you've ridden the bike? You JUST started riding, right?

Well there's nothing wrong with taking the bike, you obviously want to enjoy it as much as possible. Couple of quick tips on how to keep comfortable, you want to take as much strain off your hands/wrists and back as possible.

When being new to riding, I think it's common for a newbie to grip the handlebars too tight. Not speaking for you, but when I started, the highway made me a little nervous and looking back I was too tense. You want to grip the bars VERY lightly, use your legs to grip the tank, your midsection to keep your upper body up, and take as much weight off the arms as possible. Hope this helps a bit.

Besides, chicks dig bikes!
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by slaps76
What's the longest you've ridden the bike? You JUST started riding, right?

Well there's nothing wrong with taking the bike, you obviously want to enjoy it as much as possible. Couple of quick tips on how to keep comfortable, you want to take as much strain off your hands/wrists and back as possible.

When being new to riding, I think it's common for a newbie to grip the handlebars too tight. Not speaking for you, but when I started, the highway made me a little nervous and looking back I was too tense. You want to grip the bars VERY lightly, use your legs to grip the tank, your midsection to keep your upper body up, and take as much weight off the arms as possible. Hope this helps a bit.

Besides, chicks dig bikes!

Take the bike or not you just made this thread worth while for me in one post haha. Today i noticed really for the first time that my right hand was getting kinda sore no matter how lightly i gripped the throttle...gripping the tank more with my legs and keeping the weight off my hands as much as possible makes all the sense in the world. Kinda makes me want to go for a ride right now and try it out haha

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 07:04 PM

I hear you...wish someone told me this stuff when I started. As well as those tips, your body will adjust over time and get used to the little things that cause aches also.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 07:09 PM

I wouldn't take the bike if I were you. The traffic around orlando and ocala is absolutly nuts. I hate driving my cage through there when I drive up to see my dad. You gunna be in traffic alot of the way and your gunna get hot. I did do a ride to my dads once, it was fun... until I got off. But then again... Slaps is right... chicks love bikes. If there is a chance for bouncy bouncy then by all means, take the bike. Just take it easy and arrive in one piece.

Sepias
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 08:59 PM

I wouldn't know anything about the traffic but in my opinion I think you should take the bike It would be a nice learning experience and I think it's good to get long trips in. You'll have a better feel for things and I think your endurance on a bike would be better if you had gone on long trips.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 07:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
where are you in Florida? that matters a lot. what i would do is make a day trip out of it. id get the "scenic" route from mapquest and stay off the major roads. it wont be as crowded. you'll have more fun. you wont get the tunnel vision of i-75 or i-4 or whatever interstate you have to be on.

that made dropping acid seem like a mild cure for boredom

'95 F3 Smokin Joe - tried to kill me, so i returned the favor and parted it out

'03 "Titanium" CBR 954 - frame sliders, reupholstered seats, cut and gutted stock exhaust, -1/+2 520 conversion, BMC race filter
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 07:18 AM

240 miles? I'd take the bike. Of course, if its your first long ride, its going to seriously hurt ya, but you gotta get that out of the way.

post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 07:28 AM

Hi All-

With the way gasoline prices are heading, the motorcycle might be the only choice!

~ Blue Jays ~
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 07:31 AM

I Went from San Diego to Las Vegas on my yzf 600r it sucked ass about 2 hours into it. Then on my 1000rr last weekend made a 150 mile loop, that really hurt. I've never ridden an F4i, but a lot of it comes down to the bike. Now I know that the rr seat really is hard as a rock.

Anyone try a kidney belt or back support when riding long trips?

I might invest in some padded shorts. (look in dirt bike mags)

-M-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode