2006 Gsxr 1000 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

2006 Gsxr 1000

I got to ride a friends 2006 GSXR 1000 this last weekend. Man is that thing a machine. It feels real light and its pretty comfortable. The last gixxer I rode was an 96 750 and I didnt think that was very comfortable. The only complaint that I had about it was the tires. It has a Battleaxe on it and it makes it feel real tippy to me. I only drove it for about 20 minutes but when I was done, I didnt want to get off. Very NICE bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 11:49 AM

Yeah I love mine. I just rode 180 miles yesturday so I'm up to 300 miles on it and can't believe what an awsome machine she is.

One of the main things I love about it is the way it turns in so quickly. That suites my riding style really well.

My wife's R1 is just the opposite. You have to tell it where to go and that suites her riding style.

One of my friends came over today to look at my bike cause he's trading his Busa for a litre bike. He's tired of the weight of the Busa. I think I sold him on the Gixxer. It truly is an awsome bike!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Maybe that is where I was getting the tipping over feeling from. The quick response the bike has when turing. I have a 98 CBR 900 and that thing feels like a tank compared to the gixer.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 12:20 PM

Try putting Michelin Pilot Powers on your bike. They will give you a quicker turning responce due to there profile.

When I first put them on my old 04' 600rr I nearly turned into the curb because the bike steered so quickly. Once I got used to it I could ride the bike much better in the turns with much less effort!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 12:31 PM

Or switch to a 180/55 from the stock 190/50. Not only does the profile makes them turn faster, but the taller tire reduces the rake, making it even twitchier.

They do wear faster tho...

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice but as of right now, I am not sure I liked that quick response. I am sure I would get used to it but my tires are new so I wont be getting any new rubber for at least a year. I currently have the Dunlop D208 and have been more than happy with it.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xtreme1k
Try putting Michelin Pilot Powers on your bike. They will give you a quicker turning responce due to there profile.

When I first put them on my old 04' 600rr I nearly turned into the curb because the bike steered so quickly. Once I got used to it I could ride the bike much better in the turns with much less effort!
Same thing here. When I replaced my stock tires with the Pilot Powers, it made a huge difference in how quick my bike turned. Really like those tires.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 02:23 PM

And now the pilots are damn cheap! The 1k gixxers have been one hell of a machines since 2002. They've been getting better and better. The only beef I have towards the new gixxers is how ugly the integrated tail section looks. Personally 04-05 gixxers are the sexiest gixxers ever made.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by apuddy
Thanks for the advice but as of right now, I am not sure I liked that quick response. I am sure I would get used to it but my tires are new so I wont be getting any new rubber for at least a year. I currently have the Dunlop D208 and have been more than happy with it.
Yeah I understand you. It's not for everyone. My wife doesn't like the real quick dive in either, thats why I baught her an R1, It only turns when told too. She won't even ride my Gixxer because of the quick steering.

I think once you rode on them for a short period you would see how much easier cornering is and they might even surprise you. They are also a hell of alot stickier than 208's. I would at least keep them in mind next year when you need new rubber.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 02:28 PM

You can find them online for 220 shipped for a set of pilot powers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode