long commute on bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

long commute on bike?

I was looking at purchasing a condo in Sacramento today, which is about an hour from where I work (Fairfield, CA). Right now I only have a 20 min . commute to work on back roads that are fairly low traffic. I was just thinking what that commute would be like on my bike everyday- it's on a busy interstate. Is there anyone else out there who uses their bike to commute to work on busy roads like that? I'm more concerned with it being safe on a daily basis than comfort or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 08:19 PM

Hi ESanders2-

Just make sure it's the condominium of a lifetime if you're about to consider 80 minutes of additional commutation time into your day. That is more than six hours a week. Yikes.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 08:36 PM

I agree with Blue Jays, make sure you really like the place. But the commute is possible. I ride my bike 1 to 1 1/2 hours each way to class and back, most of the time stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. Its tolerable, but if you can avoid it I would. The heat is the worst part, so dress cool but dont skimp on the gear. And make sure your ride is comfy

Sepias

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 09:40 PM

Wow, thats a long commute! I ride each and everyday. I'm 20 mins away from campus and 20 mins away from work so I generally ride atleast an hour a day (atleast 30 miles). Just make sure you have a comfortable seating position on your bike.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 09:45 PM

Hmmm...an hr. each way, and on a "busy" road...well, if it's a road like the 405, which can be like a Parking lot at times, with drivers that don't care if they hit you ..then I'd say Forget it...to much stress, at leasst it would be for me..but then I hated having to split traffic on any frwy...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 04:14 PM

i do a 30 mile ride to work at 4:30am, on a non-busy highway, but pitch black. and then a nice 30 mile ride home in the mid to late afternoon with traffic building, but no stop and go.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 04:58 PM

an hour to an hour and a half

Yeah, sometimes its great, sometimes it sucks. It all depends on the traffic, and whether its foggy or not. I have to drive 53 miles one way a day, and 20 of it is through a low wetland, so fog on the road is a big problem in the morning, and then i have to deal with furry critters like racoons, and stuff. Traffic only gets to be a problem near the campus, and work which is near by the campus. Other students tend to get in a rush and fly through redlights, and so forth, i just try and be careful and keep my eyes open. I had an accident while coming home from work. Didn't hit a car, hit a racoon in the wetland area of the drive.

But anyway, if its nice whether, its a blast, and gives me time to enjoy my riding, and lets me just get in the zone before work and class.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 05:22 PM

Yeah, make sure that is where you want to live. If your familiar with So Cal, this buddy af mine use to ride his Bandit from Victorville to San Diego North County every day, one way was about 130 miles. He moved closer and then wrecked his bike, now he's looking for a replacement, Myself I ride 22 miles both ways and in the morning at 0530 it takes about 25-30 minutes to get to work, in the afternoon it takes about 45-50 minutes, this is in San Diego North County. Good Luck,
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 06:23 PM

I don't think Sacramento is part of So. Cali...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 07:31 PM

I commute 45 miles each way for work and in my opinion it sux. I never take my bike because Not only do i not like putting that many miles on my back but also it's just not worth it because it's all highway and to congested. at the end of the day i dont want to be dealing with traffic and other rush hour commuters on my bike just my
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode