Pluging A Tire ??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Pluging A Tire ???

just got new tires 3 weeks ago..... today i see i have a nail in the rear. so i pluged it. it's fine..... should i go buy a new tire. or just ride on this one ???? thanks for your help !!!! z1000 2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 04:53 PM

Re: Pluging A Tire ???

Quote:
Originally posted by bulldogboogers
...should i go buy a new tire. or just ride on this one ????...
The one's been hashed-out more times than I can recall. If you do a search, you'll find lots of info.

FTR, I'm in favour of plugging, if done from the inside with a "thumb-tack" plug.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 06:54 PM

Believe me Iím no mechanic, and I didnít even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I wouldnít want to trust a plug in one of my bike tires. That would make me nervous as hell!

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 07:31 PM

Even though a plug might be just fine and nothing would ever happen, I wouldn't use one. In the back of my mind I would always be second guessing that tire, and with everything else there is to worry about when riding it just isn't worth it.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 07:47 PM

Hi All-

Cookeetree and I feel the same way. The nightmare stories against plugging tires must have been started by Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Metzeler, and Avon!

You won't want to push the tire to triple-digit speeds on a hot racetrack in southern Florida in the summer, but there is no reason not to have tires patched as mentioned above and just keep an eye on it. Who has the kind of money to purchase replacements each time one encounters a nail, screw, or tack?

~ Blue Jays ~
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jays
...The nightmare stories against plugging tires must have been started by Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Metzeler, and Avon!...

I think the nightmare stories are true, but are based on patching technology that dates back to when Jesus got a flat on his donkey.

FTR, my last rear tyre was patched about a month after I bought it. The patch never failed during the life of the tyre, including during numerous runs up to 100mph.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 08:54 PM

Hi Cookeetree-

I've used plugs on probably three occasions and they've all been serviceable and performance of the bike was virtually unaffected. If I picked-up a nail in the center of the tread on fairly new tires...I'm sure not going to toss them away when they've got thousands of good miles left on them.

If the sidewall was threatened, that would be a different story. If it's in the center of the tread, I'm plugging it and simultaneously saving myself some pretty pennies.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jays
...If the sidewall was threatened, that would be a different story. If it's in the center of the tread, I'm plugging it and simultaneously saving myself some pretty pennies...
Yeah, there's def some things to take into consideration.

Age of the tyre: If it's just about f*cked, might as well toss it.

Position of the puncture: In the sidewall or too close to the sidewall and it's a bin job.

Use of bike: Gonna race it? Get a new tyre. Just commuting or socially riding? A patch should suffice.

Of course, there are those who will never be happy with a patch. As with many things in life, to each his own.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 09:36 PM

depends on how hard you ride and what bike you have. If you have a cruiser style bike, patch and it drive safe. Sports bike riders, I wouldn't lean too much or go to fast on a compromised tire.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

ok thanks gang !!! i will get a new tire on it this week, last night i took it for alittle 25 mile spin, and in the back of my mine i was always thinking about the tire wondering if it was going to blow !!! thanks again..... bulldogboogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode