Man down, I got hit. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Man down, I got hit.

I'm have been enjoying my new 06' V-strom immensely....So today it was nice out after work and I went out for a ride...just a quarter-mile fromn my house on my return trip...this asshole comes barreling out from the side street, blowing through the stop sign and turns/cuts RIGHT in front of me......he was making a left so basically he turned into me. I slammed on my brakes, i couldnt swerve as thier was oncoming traffic in the next lane. (its just a two lane road). so i did mess up a little, i grabbed too much front brake, not enough rear. But turns out it didnt matter, the dude didnt stop untill he rammed my front tire. so bike hits his front side, i go skidding over the hood and whomp onto the street.

I lay there for a few seconds, getting my bearings, wiggling my toes, fingers, seeing if anything is well , really bad. I get up, my ankle hurts, my knee hurts, my chest really hurts as it took most of the force of the hood. and this idiot with his lard ass girlfriend as the nerve to NOT EVEN GET OUT OF THE CAR. and then ask if i'm ok.

SIGH.

anyways, cops come. he gets a ticket for failure to stop, failure to yield right of way and something about hitting somebody. (me)

THe Strom is looking ugly, but this bitch appears like it can take a beating. the frame is cool. the front fender is a bit dinged, my left turn signal is gone, the left side frame cover is all gouged to hell, and the little below it is cracked. my left foot peg is bent to crap. and the clutch lever appears to be tilited down a few inches.

i'm ok. just some bad bad rroad rash, and some swollen knees, ankles and elbows.

i called my insurance already and made a claim. adjuster will be at my dealership on monday. any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 08:22 PM

Hey, glad to hear you're ok. You're very, very lucky in terms of making out of it relatively well. But you're unlucky in the sense that asshole was there to ruin it for you. Isn't there law over there like attempted vehicular manslaughter with deadly weapon? I mean shit, a rider here (FL) gets jailed 30 years here for a hot pursuit where the officer's car loses control and killed in the process, and here someone tries to take your life, all he gets is a slap in the wrist and traffic ticket fine. WTF? Traffic laws for motorcyclists are just plain disgusting.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 08:47 PM

man, glad to hear your ok. i take it your gear is trashed or u werent wearing much...i'm the same way...i dont change my ways until shit happens. luckily i got my fair share of road rash on my regular pedal bike and always wear gear.

but ya i believe that the vehicular manslaughter thing is something worth looking into....and u know what sue his insurance for all their worth! u deserve it.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 03:20 PM

I saw you wrote that you made a claim on your own insurance? Isn't it his fault since he ran the stop sign? Also according to my instructor, in Florida atleast, any motorcycle accident with a car is considered the driver's fault...sounds weird but this is Florida...?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 04:23 PM

pin his ass up! that sucker doesn't deserve to drive a car. And if your single, might as well take his girlfriend too.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FloridaMx5
I saw you wrote that you made a claim on your own insurance? Isn't it his fault since he ran the stop sign?...
It works like this: You go to your insurance mob, then they chase the other party or their insurance mob. If you're not at fault, it won't affect your premium at all.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 07:42 PM

Hi All-

Cookeetree is right on the money. Your insurance company will pursue the the other driver's insurance company for the money. The police report will clearly illustrate who was right and who was wrong.

As far as the "attempted vehicular manslaughter" and all that nonsense...it was an accident caused by a knucklehead in a cage. Does anyone really want to go so far as to say that the cage driver was trying to intentionally kill the motorcyclist? Let's fight the real battles we can win as riders rather than lining the pockets of some shyster liar, I mean, lawyer.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 08:56 PM

And what battle is that?? And how do we fight it? Should we sing "why can't we be friends" all day long?

I admit I did say that out of frustration and exaggeration, but if cagers can lie all the time, why not us? It gets tiring to see riders fall while these idiots get slap in the wrist, and no one does anything about it. What is considered a usual fender bender could mean death on a motorcycle. We ride knowing these risks, but we certainly shouldn't accept it.

I am a cager too, but I use my eyes when I merge into traffic. There really is no excuse for distraction, and people should pay for their actions. Traffic ticket and raising the premium is not enough for a moron who almost killed someone for his indiscretions.

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 04-09-2006 at 09:09 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 09:27 PM

^ good example was the recent politican who killed a harley rider after running through a stop sign at 70mph.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 09:37 PM

If you need medical attention due to your injuries, his insurance should be paying for that, along with the damages to your, and gear if any..Go see a doctor, just to be certian that your o.k.

Also, re: the frame, there's no way to tell if it's not bent, that can only be done through measurring it..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode