Make a CBR more comfortable? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Make a CBR more comfortable?

Well i've been riding my 03 CBR600F4i for a little more than a week now and i've been loving every second of it. I actually get dissapointed to have to take my car anywhere...96 Turbocharged Miata.

Anyway, my question is, is there anything i can do to make my cbr a little more comfortable? Sometimes after a lot of riding my groin/hip starts to get a little sore. I'm about 6'1 185 and play college tennis, so it's not because i'm out of shape. The only thing i'm thinking is it might be because my legs aren't very flexible laterally. I got the same feeling when i was riding a buel blast durring my m/c course...except 10 times worse and my hips would actually pop when i got off...somewhat painful.

It's not anything bad at all, or that would keep me from riding...but if there was something i could to help out (lower foot pegs, etc..?) i would definitely do it.

...and i did sit on just about every 600 out before i bought the cbr, eventually i'll upgrade to something bigger if that would be more comfortable, but this is my first bike. Thanks for any help you can give me on this. -John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 06:13 PM

Depending on the seat, you could shave the padding unding the actual cover for the seat. This way your legs get a more gentle spead when you sit on it rather than the rapid one that it has currently. On the expensive side, you can buy new pegs to shift the location your feet are sitting at, look around online, I'm sure youll find plenty. But they are expensive from what I've seen and I'm not sure how it would effect your riding control, if at all.

Sepias
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 08:04 PM

CBR seat

I can vouch for the fact that pre 2004 CBR F4i seats are total rocks! They really suck. Although the ergonomics are good, I can honestly say that I've never sat on a more uncomfortable seat. In '04, they revised the seat completely.

Rather than spend the money on a 2004+ CBR, how about looking for an aftermarket seat? I'm sure that Corbin must make one.

http://www.corbin.com

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 08:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to SlowCBR
Another thing you should keep in mind is that you've only been riding for a week or so; it's something you'll get used to. I used to feel the same way as you when I went from a '93 F2 to an '01 F4i, but after a few days of being sore, I got used to it and was able to do some pretty long rides. Of course I'm only 5'6", but the same concept applies as your body gets used to the bike's position.

Surprisingly, I wasn't sore after I rode my '03 F4i back from the dealership this past Thursday. I rode 70 miles, mostly highway, after not riding for 9 months. I stopped to stretch once, but was okay otherwise. Compared to a lot of the supersport 600s (i.e. 600RR), the F4i is pretty damn comfortable.

-Jon
'06 Honda CBR 1000 RR -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 08:51 PM

^yeah def. If you think your cbr f4 is bad, man try sitting on a 600RR. Man, my buns get soar after 10 mins of riding anywhere! And the seating position is def a track bike position.

btw, what talon do you drive?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 09:32 PM

F4i is pretty bad, because it's not only thin, but around the edge, there is no cushioning, just straight plastics. F4 and 2004+ F4i's have banana seat, and thus really comfy. I think 01-03 F4i's and RRs seats are similar, it's just that RR's ergonomics makes it worse.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 03:00 AM

buddy of mine has an 05 600rr and the seat blows! it looks and feels like they wrapped a piece of concrete in vinyl and attached it to the bike, i'd have to say its the worst part of that bike! my 636 at least has a good inch of padding under my big ass. but still doesn't shake a stick at the ZZR i sat on at the dealer. i think i looked at corbin for him and they were like 200$ but worth every penny to be comfy!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 03:22 AM

i have an 05 F4i and i think the seat is great. true the new seat in the 04-06 models is way better than previous years. and yes in my first weeks of riding my ass got a little sore on longer rides but you'll get used to it.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 04:59 AM

Two things are almost a must on a CBR (In MY opinion). Get a good seat, Corbin or Sargent it'll make a load of difference. The next is especially important for guys 6' and up like you an I. Get a set of Vortex rearsets, very well built with plenty of choices for peg position. If you can't get a comfortable riding position with those things I don't know what to tell you
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 08:51 AM

Cannot really offer any true suggestions, for I do not have that year or model of the bike. Mind you I have a '00 Honda 929 & a '03 Honda 954.

Strange thing is so many also complain about the saddles on these two bikes & call them "planks" or whatever. Believe it or not but they are the most comfortable I have ever had, but that could be because in my 59+ yrs of riding I have had some ghastly saddles & have simply tollerated them.

Possibly it is due to his height & the fact that he has not become accustom to riding bikes plus the learn forward position with the addition to the stock rear-sets effects him. After all when riding that 500cc Buell we all know it has an extremely low saddle height so you can give that some thought being saddle height & the legs cramped in said new position.

Lastly I also have a '97 Yamaha YZF600r with a saddle that is soft & so many claim that to be better then what is on the other two bikes, BUT to me said soft saddle is TO soft for I do like to ride these mtn roads (for that is where I live) that mean a lot of twisties & YES I am shifting part of my butt to the inside of each bend AND that is where the harder saddles pay off for me anyway.

Last edited by Smitty; 04-09-2006 at 08:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode