Smokers on Road!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: If you see someone littering, Do you?
Don't do anything 15 46.88%
Think about doing something 5 15.63%
Think about doing something, but didn't have time to do it 5 15.63%
Though it and did it 7 21.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 129 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Smokers on Road!!!

Calling you out bitches who throw you cigs out the window!

Some old guy at a stop light in front of me at an off ramp (airport bld/I40) threw a cigarette out the window. I parked the bike, walked up, picked up the cigarette, and handed it to him saying "sir, you dropped this". Then I got back on my bike and he proceeded to go 35mph in a 45mph zone for like a mile, he prolly thought I was an off duty cop or something. Funny as hell. He was stunned and held the cigarette in his hand for the whole way. His wife was in the passenger seat too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 09:50 AM

Throwing cigarette butts out of the window is littering. I just recently picked up the old bad habit, but one of my first actions was to purchase an ashtray that extinguishes cigarettes and keeps them there until I can dump them in trash. When I smoked in the past, I used to throw them out of the window, but now I am a more conscientious citizen.
post #3 of 129 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 10:14 AM

You misspelled thought If someone pitches something substantial, like a cup or a bag or something I usually will make a remark or a gesture of some sort but cigaretts and what not decompose rapidly (its tabacco, cotton fibre, and thin paper. A good rain will break it down and it will decompose inside of a week. I did an experiment on this in elementary), so if it doesn't hit me in the face or something then its no big deal.

Sepias

post #4 of 129 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 10:25 AM

I'm with sepias. Rapidly decomposing stuff isnt nearly as big of a deal and a bottle or a bag of chips. I'm guilty of throwing butts out the window (I'd like to say that I dont do that, but I'd like to say that I dont smoke) As for bigger trash, I'll mention something to my friends, and wont do anything like that myself, but as far as total stranges, I dont bother.

post #5 of 129 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

There's also a fire hazard in our area so it could start a forest fire. Besides, I hate ppl who do it cause I've been hit quite a bit of times from cigs. I usually pull up next to them, flick them off, and do a wheelie but they are usually moving. This guy was stopped and wanted to "return" his property. Also, the cig wasn't even half used, what a waste of a cig (even though I dont smoke).
post #6 of 129 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
...cigaretts and what not decompose rapidly (its tabacco, cotton fibre, and thin paper. A good rain will break it down and it will decompose inside of a week. I did an experiment on this in elementary), so if it doesn't hit me in the face or something then its no big deal.

Sepias
I may be off on this subject, but when you smoke all the way to the filter, the filter does not burn, but rather melts, which indicates to me it is made of synthetic material. Paper and tobacco will decompose naturally, but the synthetic material will not. Then again, I may need to do a scientific experiment of my own to verify the theory.
post #7 of 129 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
...cigaretts and what not decompose rapidly (its tabacco, cotton fibre, and thin paper. A good rain will break it down and it will decompose inside of a week. I did an experiment on this in elementary)...
Perhaps the butts you tested in elementary school, but not these days.

Quote:
Taken from the 'net:

Cigarette filters are made of cellulose acetate, which can take decades to biodegrade. An average butt will take 15 years to decompose.

They're rarely viewed as a litter problem because of their size, however over 4.5 trillion cigarette butts are littered worldwide each year.

Cigarette butts can smoulder up to three hours when thrown from a vehicle. Globally, every 12 minutes a fire starts due to littering.

Discarded butts are also carried by rain into our sewer systems where their chemicals can seep into our water supply.

Finally, they pose a threat to wildlife, as birds and fish often mistake them for food.
It's a filthy habit made more filthy by the ignorant f*cks who choose to not dispose of their trash in the proper way. I f*cking hate smokers who throw their butts from cars.

I've always had a desire to do what JBaz did, but it's just not safe, in this age of road rage (hey, I'm a poet!), to do stuff like that.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 129 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by veektor
I may be off on this subject, but when you smoke all the way to the filter, the filter does not burn, but rather melts, which indicates to me it is made of synthetic material. Paper and tobacco will decompose naturally, but the synthetic material will not. Then again, I may need to do a scientific experiment of my own to verify the theory.
Not true. Aside from the common synthetic myths, simply consider that hair and feathers melt when burned

post #9 of 129 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 12:48 PM

I guess they have switched over the last 10 years then, but it makes sense. Almost everything is synthetic now in days. But if you think about it, sending it to a landfill is worse that tossing it out the window in some ways (I'm not defending the habit just stating a fact). Stuff in landfils does not decompose. It is compacted so tightly that there isn't enough oxygen to allow the bacteria to decompose the materials. If you dug out a peice of newspaper from the 1960's in a landfill you could still read everything including the fine print (I've seen it, damn people and not recycling!). But then again, in a land fill you wouldn't have to worry about it starting a fire.

Sepias
post #10 of 129 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 12:53 PM

I'm going to have to call on the "Discarded butts are also carried by rain into our sewer systems where their chemicals can seep into our water supply." That's just a little too extreme. If the butt's chemicals "seep" into the water supply from the sewer then what about the shit? Or oil drips from cages.

Then again the gators that live in the sewers could be affected...

-M-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode