600 Mile Maintenance - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

600 Mile Maintenance

Alright, question about the 600 mile maintenace.

It's going to cost me around $220 for them to do the 600 mile maintenance and I wanted to know if I could do this stuff myself. They would be doing the following;

-Replacing engine oil.
-Replacing engine oil filter
-Inspecting engine idle speed
-Inspecting Brake system
-Inspecting Clutch System
-Inspecting Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners
-Inspecting Steering Head Bearings

I know this stuff is important but can't I replace the engine oil and oil filter myself? I'm not sure abou the inspecting stuff but is it really needed? This may be a dumb question but I was curious about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 02:14 PM

Re: 600 Mile Maintenance

Just make sure it won't affect your waranty by doing your own work.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 03:29 PM

Keep your receipts for any/all maintenance you do on the bike. It's my understanding that as long as the maintenance is done to the bike the warranty is still valid and does not have to be performed at a dealership/shop. I would check still it out though.

-M-

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 04:04 PM

thats how it is for alot of car warranty's for things like oil and such as long as you can prove by recipts.... although could be totally different with bikes
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 04:18 PM

That stuff is all simple to do so if it doesn't void your warrenty then do it yourself. When I had my bike looked over and the carbs cleaned at a dealership they charged me $500... and I forgot the lube The moral of the story is... do what you can yourself.

Sepias
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:18 PM

So its just oil change after then break-in period? Get yourself a full manual for your bike, either the official technical manual from the manufacturer, or a 3rd party one. Either way, inspecting that stuff should be easy and you could prolly do in less than 15 mins (w/ oil change).

So they basicly want to charge 220 bucks for an oil change and to to check 5 things on a new bike...

Invest in a front and rear bike stand (or center stand jack for bikes), a torque wrench, and various of tools (if you don't have metric and SI wrenches, allen wrenches, and other tools).
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 07:32 PM

Where can I get the service manual for my 06 ZX6R ?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 06:16 AM

It doesn't void your warranty. That's just another way to get you to bring your bike in and pay $$$$$ to get it repaired or worked on.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 07:09 AM

$220! Mine cost $80. You are getting screwed!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 04:26 PM

Hi All-

I don't get too involved with the mechanical work on my bike, and I perform oil changes because they're a piece-of-cake. This also allows me to be positive that premium oil and filters are being used. Keep every single receipt of EVERYTHING ever purchased for your bike in a zippered folder for resale someday.

This should reduce the cost significantly because they won't need to remove as much plastic bodywork...depending on what is entailed with the clutch check. When my bike was new they just ensured there was enough "play" in the lever. Let us know how everything turns out.

~ Blue Jays ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode