chain brand... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

chain brand...

ok what brand chain do ya'll recommend? X-ring, 0-ring,
DID brand, RX brand? is DID worth it, they boast 50-100% longer life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 06:57 PM

excellent question and anothe rone i might add is how often should chains be replaced? and if not a certain mileage how does one know
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

well this is my first chain on this bike and i'm just under 14k. there should be wear markers on ur shifter side swing arm. usually notches. u should adjust it every so often as the chain wears.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 08:26 PM

I usually adjust my chain when I get more than 2 inches of lateral movement with me on the bike. I'm not sure on when to replace though... I've been told that if the chain is well oiled and maintaned that it doesn't need to be replaced until it has stretched to the point were the tire cant be moved back further to compinsate but I really have no clue.

Sepias
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 09:29 PM

the time to change your chain is directly proportional on how you use your bike (fast acceleration and doing wheelies apply hard tension on the chains and therefore creates loose spots around the chain) and how well you maintain the chain. You should pop the rear end up on a stand and adjust the chain tension every so often (I do it about every 800-2000 miles as I do stunt the F2 a bit) and relube the chain with chain grease or lube (ever 600 miles).

Even if your bike gets wet, the grease/lube shouldn't wash off easily unless you used a pressured hose. When you adjust the chain tension make sure you find the tightest spot on the chain and adjust the tension to that spot. Depending on the bike, usually you should have an 1.25-1.5 inch worth of play going up and down from rest.

Now, if you notice that you have a tight spot and a very loose spot where you adjust the correct chain play on the tight spot and have something like 3+ inches worth of play, time to get yourself a new chain. If you incorrectly adjust the chain to be too tight, you risk of the chain breaking and could cause a wreck. Same goes for being too loose. If its too loose, not only would it be able to slap against the swingarm and cause damage (scratches but can grind into like a chainsaw), but you also risk the chain of falling off the sproket(s) depending on how loose it is. Hopefully you'll notice the sluggish performance of the bike and adjust the chain by then.

If you have an even wear pattern of the tension on the chain, then your tightest spot should "loosen" to the point of where when you adjust the position of the rear axel that you hit a notch or a marker on the swing arm saying "time to replace chain" or something to that effect. Check your bike's manual to be sure. Under normal vehicle use, depending on the quality of the chain, they should last atleast 15k miles (more with regular maintence). My stock chain that I'm still using on my F2 is still good but its getting to that point where I should start looking to get a new chain and I'm already at 21k.

As always, its better to give too much info then not enough.

Btw I'm also in the market for a new chain for the gixxer. I just got a +9 teeth rear sproket and planning on gett ing a -1 front sproket. I heard RX's were good.

Last edited by JBaz; 04-05-2006 at 09:33 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JBaz
Btw I'm also in the market for a new chain for the gixxer. I just got a +9 teeth rear sproket and planning on getting a -1 front sproket. I heard RX's were good.
+9?! Wheelie much?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:59 AM

On the chain, its actually better to have it too lose than to tight.
If the chain is too loose, you risk it jumping off the sprocket, which would be very bad, but it has to be very very loose for that to happen. If its too tight it will wear out faster.

Try moving the chain from side to side instead of up and down. If it moves more than an inch get rid of it. Also if you like wheelies, check you rollers, I've had them come completely off before.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 08:09 AM

RK, EK, DID, they all make good chains, but they also make crap chains. You get what you pay for - like everything else. I put an RK X-ring on my 600, even with used sprockets it was wearing great before I sold it.

-M-
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

thx for the tips.

so do any of u think that the DID gold chains for $150 are worth the extra money? i dont stunt (very rarely get the front end up) but i do like to blast off at the green lights.

- ms posted at the same time i did thx for the input on the x-rings, it think i'll go that route.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 01:12 PM

so lets say maybe everyone is not sure how to tighten the chain how would you expalin its doen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode