Got off with a warning....but WTF? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Got off with a warning....but WTF?

So, going home from school, I see a state trooper about a1/2 mile ahead of me coming in the opposite lane. The limits 65 and i saw him in enough time to check my speed, which actually ended up being 65, and even backed off a bit just in case. Go figure, as he passes me I see the lights come on and he goes to turn around. Well, pulled over right away, had my bike off, kick-stand down, helmet off, and all my information ready when he walked up. He tells me I got pulled over for speeding, but didn't say how fast I was going. It struck me as a bit odd, considering I checked the speed and my speedo is calibrated from GPS with a speedohealer. I tell him so, but that I'm not arguing with him, just would like to know what reading he got so I can correct the problem. After hedging around and saying he usually doesn't give the speed for warnings (which thankfully was all I got) he tells me I was doing 71. It was completely obvious that it was bullshit just from the way he was acting, would bet a million he didn't use radar. Anyway, I was cool about it and ended up talking to him about college, and got off with a warning. Does this strike anyone else as weird? Is this normal protocol, and how good is radar on a little 600 sportbike that is coming at you head on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 04:14 PM

well... radars are now pretty damn calibrated to be fairly accurate (like 1-2mph), but thats when they are standing still. When a cop pulls you over for speeding, their radar will save the last recorded speed in the buffer so when you ask and the cop sounds sketchy, you could request to see your speed on the radar in his car (if he's not a total douche).

But honestly, always stop and always be polite, no matter what. Although, it seems that a lot of cops are out to get us motorcycle terrorists off the road, just only the anal ones are.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 04:27 PM

Sort of start of the season, also you were comming from school & they really do not want any automotive accidents (that also includes m/cs as you know)-----so you are a 'murdercyclist' & best thing they have been told is to lean on the m/c riders. So you have & you did all things correct other then almost challenge him. Challenge or not you would have lost. So simply accept a warning ticket proof that they are trying to do their job. Do not quibble about it for I expect to be lucky if I can only receive a warning ticket once the rain, hail, & snow stops comiming down at the higher plains that I ride. I will probably be nailed with a speeding ticket as my record for speeding tickets will probably show up on their PC even though last three were in '03.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 04:58 PM

I got pulled and received a warning today as well, but I was speeding I dont know if the laws are different in TX but in FL they have to tell you why you were pulled, they cant just say you were speeding, and if its a written warning it must be written on the warning as well. Glad to hear you go off though.

Sepias
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 05:49 PM

Re: Got off with a warning....but WTF?

Quote:
Originally posted by 71custom
So, going home from school, I see a state trooper about a1/2 mile ahead of me coming in the opposite lane. The limits 65 and i saw him in enough time to check my speed, which actually ended up being 65, and even backed off a bit just in case. Go figure, as he passes me I see the lights come on and he goes to turn around. Well, pulled over right away, had my bike off, kick-stand down, helmet off, and all my information ready when he walked up. He tells me I got pulled over for speeding, but didn't say how fast I was going. It struck me as a bit odd, considering I checked the speed and my speedo is calibrated from GPS with a speedohealer. I tell him so, but that I'm not arguing with him, just would like to know what reading he got so I can correct the problem. After hedging around and saying he usually doesn't give the speed for warnings (which thankfully was all I got) he tells me I was doing 71. It was completely obvious that it was bullshit just from the way he was acting, would bet a million he didn't use radar. Anyway, I was cool about it and ended up talking to him about college, and got off with a warning. Does this strike anyone else as weird? Is this normal protocol, and how good is radar on a little 600 sportbike that is coming at you head on?
please elaborate.... my spedo is off about 7 mph going to start looking into possibly fixing soon. is there a way i can do this by my self or i have to take it to a shop
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

speedohealer.com

Everything you need to know you'll find it there.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 06:24 PM

well a more specific question is does anyone know y they get off? and is this the only way to fix it?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 06:27 PM

and then this says that it can record higher miles. so if my mph is 7 off is it recording higher or no?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 08:31 PM

I think maybe the cop wanted to let you know that he sees you and he will know you in the future...so now he knows your face..so next time if you jet away he knows what you look like....wither that or he just cares about bikes and wanted to get to know a rider..
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SkinnyJ
well a more specific question is does anyone know y they get off? and is this the only way to fix it?
Could be sprocket change.

Poor factory calibration. I heard once that the factory will set the speedo to read 0-5mph over to make it look like you are going faster than you actually are.

Tire wear(minimal)

I could be wrong but me thinks the speedohealer only works with electronic speedos. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

A few ccs short of a full litre.

Last edited by mac020; 04-06-2006 at 04:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode