Sportbike World banner

Best Deals you've gotten off ebay, biketrader, etc

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  JBaz 
#1 ·
This thread is made out of curiousity of what the best deals everyone here has gotten on gear, bikes, parts, etc.

I am purchasing my first riding bike ( 3rd overall) so I recently have bought all my gear off ebay.

Ill start with my best motorcycle deals

$40 new cl-14 black helmet
$20 new Joe rocket blaster gloves
$20 slightly used AGV racing boots
$30 slightly used textile padded teknic jacket

bought first bike for $900, sold for $1500
bought second bike for $300, sold for $450 in parts

So for $110 (including S&H) i have a complete set of gear that i bought solely with the profit off my second bike
;)

The only bad part I would say about my gear is that none of it matches (gloves blue leather, boots red leather, jacket black textile, helmet black) so i look ->
:squid: :squid:

See less See more
#7 ·
Some dude wanted to sell his 2001 SV650S in a hurry on SportTouring.net forum. He asked for $1000, I happened to have that much cash on hand. I fully intend to get BlueBook on that bike IF I ever decide to sell it. The peg on the brake pedal was broken off (drilled a hole, put a bolt with rubber hose on it), and the brake lever had a bit broken off. Farings cracked around turn signals due to being dropped at stand still. I'll never get that lucky again.

Oh, did I mention it came with a Corbin seat on it? :D

#8 ·
On ebay I bought a Two Bros. carbon fiber stash system (retail around 9 bills) for $400.00.

I like craigslist a lot b/c its easy to barter.

I got some Alpinestar SMX boots - guy said he wore them half a dozen times (no visible signs of wear) for $75...he wanted $125.

Non bike related crazy deals:

I got a 65" Toshiba rear projection in perfect condition for $450 on craigslist.

#9 ·
I bought my 03 CBR600F4i for $5500 off cycletrader...not anything amazing but the bike was exclusively ridden by a woman (original owner). :D

...only thing about it is that it's lowered a little bit. Doesn't really bother me but i'll raise it back up eventually cuz at 6'1 there's no need for me to ride a lowered bike. Also it hadn't been ridden in a year, but they had done the right thing and turned it on every 2-3 weeks.

#12 ·
I got a few good deals as well as bad ones (from dealers and bad mechanics).

But the one that stands out the most is my current bike:

1999 Honda CBR600 F4 with 7150 miles. All stock equipment. Little scratch on the fairings from being dropped on left side. And just needed new tires, battery, and oil change, which I did about 900 miles later, after nail got stuck on the rear tire. Sold by private owner for $1900. No wreck, clean title.

Since then, only mods are intuitive frame sliders, EBC HH front and rear brake pads, aftermarket mirror, and Yoshimura TRS slip on (on the mail).

NADA book value for this: $3900
KBB: $4360.

I thought it was a good deal since bikes here are usually sold as little above the average book value, especially spring and summer. F2-F3s are still being sold for $3000-4000.

#14 ·
Florida, what you expect? :D

But F2s and F3s are still common here. When I was about to get my first bike, I looked at a beat up but repainted 96 F3, it's been on a crash most likely, and I saw cracks everywhere. The welding on the frame looked suspicious. But being a newb and wanting a first bike so bad, I made an offer. He wanted $3750 as the ad says. He was a a bike mechanic (and there were salvage bikes around) and said his customer sold it to him and he used to do all the service. I offered him $2500, he said forget it and started walking back to his garage. I was like what an ass. I left the place and same day made a deal for '90 FZR600. Bike was also a beater, and picked it up for $1600. After I spent some for repairing and riding, new tires, battery, etc. And I got scammed by asshole mechanic, I sold it for $2000. And it still needed a few more minor things. So it was break even, no profit, except I learned how to ride and layed it down few times.

My F4 has about 10.5K on the odo but F4s that are customised (repainted) and double the mileage, are still going over $4500. Florida sucks as far buying bikes on a budget goes, best time to buy is in winter (when I sold my SV :( ).

#15 ·
JBaz said:
^thats not a deal, thats normal price. Besides you could find 05, 06 f4i's for 6 grand in almost new condition.

Well since it is my first bike, and i did find it on cycletrader.com...that would make it the best deal i've made...:twofinger

....and good luck finding 05 and 06 F4i's for 6 grand haha. I looked everyday for over a month and believe me i would know. The same thing with the $3000 00-02 cbr's...it's a different market down here in florida and you either can't find deal's like that or they are bought on the spot as soon as the bike goe's up for sale.

#16 ·
It's true about these prices in Florida, but I have to point out that I have seen 02-03 F4i's with 2-7K miles go for $4500-4800 during winter times on cycletraders. You just have to be patient and wait for the opportunity. After my 2nd bike purchase, my attitude was such that I don't need another bike, but I'll pick it up if the price is right and looks fun enough to ride, also considering the resale value.

#17 ·
JBaz said:
btw, It only took 300 bucks to get the RR in riding condition. Gixxer will take 500 bucks, more if I decide to get some rashed plastics.

Oh, I also got a Pirelli Diablo Strata Front and Rear tire set (180 rear) for 165 bucks with tax! They are some sticky tires too.
Jbaz, both clean title??

If so, I am interested getting one of my own and fix it up. :D

#19 ·
I just bought a Corbin seat for $60 off a local bike forum. He already sold it on Ebay for over $200, but the guy returned it because of a small wrinkle in the leather. He just had it sitting in his garage and wanted to get rid of it. The seat goes for $375 new.

Other than that, I bought and sold my last bike off craigslist. I didn't get a crazy deal on it when I bought it, but enough to sell it for a $200 profit a year later.

#20 ·
Jetboat

In 2000, we bought a mint 1999 Seadoo Challenger 1800 jetboat for $10,500. It was barely used at all. The guy bought it for $19,500 the year before. Had receipts for it and everything.

Still have the boat. Looking forward to getting it out soon.

#21 ·
i do alot of ebay for my cage, but for the bike specifically, i got

intigrated taillight (lockhart phillips) $70 brand new
flush mount signals $40 brand new
joe Rocket race replica Leather Jacket $350 brand new
next will be a new helmet to match the new Jacket

i've also stocked up on some parts for my buddies 600rr

same parts as me, at about the same prices.

#22 ·
Z_Fanatic said:
Jbaz, both clean title??

If so, I am interested getting one of my own and fix it up. :D
The RR has a clean title. The gixxer has a bill of sale from the auction house. Clean title of what one of my cop buddies can find, but I'll have to be issued a new title. I'm still gonna try to turn the gixxer into a track/stunt bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.