Fate or Luck? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Fate or Luck?

I rode 4 hours today with some guys in Chapel Hill. Well, one of my friends has an 03 gsxr600. He wrecked the bike (again) after missing a curve going 100mph+. He locks his front brakes after knowing he wasn't going to make the curve and went straight off the road. Jumped a 4 foot deep drain ditch on the side of the road and landed on the other side hard. Lost control, rolled off the bike and the bike tumbled a few times before stopping.

He stopped about 300ft from the road. Lucky him that he landed in soft grass a field of hay. Lucky for the bike too as he had a crash cage. Broke his windshield and that's it. He got back on the bike and we all continued with the 2 hour long ride.

Btw, 2 bikes behind him was a guy with a 600rr who had a video camera setup on the bike and the whole thing was caught on vid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 07:45 PM

Well he should feel lucky, I saw a wreck tonight on my way home from work that made my stomach turn. Anyway glad your friend is o.k
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 08:00 PM

Hi JBaz-

Your friend needs to seriously evaluate his riding skills and seek lessons. If he and his motorcycle were still moving at over 100 m.p.h. at the time of the crash, he doesn't even know what he doesn't know. Glad to hear he survived.

~ Blue Jays ~

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

For some reason, he said he was distracted and didn't see the curve. In his defense, we were going almost directly into the sun and it was about 6pm and the curve wasn't a very sharp one (like a 55mph curve).
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 08:40 PM

From reading articles like these, as usually the case, I thought the curve would be something 25-35 curve, and hence, he was going too fast or too fast for his skill. But when I read 55 curve, I am left a bit confused .

Also every time I head home from riding, I usually have the sun in my face, regardless of speed or radius of the road, and my visor is clear. So that is something one gets used to it, I think the real distraction comes from other cars in a curve or gravel or oil spill.

For his sake, tell him to take it to the track. Incident like that, sounds like he's lucky to be alive, not to mention not a scratch on his body.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 09:03 PM

Glad to hear he made it in one peice. I have to ask... you gunna post the vid? I'm surprised the grass, even with the cage, didnt eat his bike alive. The thick bermuda grass down here just pulls bikes apart grabbing every little crevace, nook, and cranny they can get. Again glad he and his bike are ok.

Sepias
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

His crash cage is full of grass, looks like a chia-bike. We were riding in a group of about a dozen bikes. We don't know the 600RR rider, but he's a regular and we'll get the video the next time we see him.

We were out in the country and doing some twisties. I was new to the group and I stayed a bit behind as I didn't know the road very well (glad too cause on one road it twisted very wildly right at hills with some s-curves right after hills too! Talk about some scary shit when you dont expect 25mph curves to be designed that way).
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 02:15 PM

so being the noobie that i am i have to ask, i saw a couple of pics of what seems to be cages on bikes..... and what all does it protect to me just looks like the crank case and couple other lil things.....

also y have one of these on ur bike. i assume people that have these do stunts... because if you dont do stunts and y ou buy one then arnt u assuming ull crash ? or i dont know just rambling on now.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Because when you crash, the crash cage saves the bike quite a bit. Depending on who makes them, they are solid as a rock and can hold up better then any other part on the bike.

They mostly save the main frame, engine and side farings from the main impact. They offer a higher level of protection then frame sliders (and are much much more durable), but you sacrafice you leaning ability and easy access under the farings.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 04:33 PM

I sort of doubt if the roads are marked with max speed of 100mph for I know when I ride fast each time I am taking a chance in life. So it is up to him especially if he is riding into the sun which tells any sensible rider to slow down & take it easy. Guess your friend is not a sensible rider & doubt it he has clocked 10 or 12 yrs of riding the roads as of to date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode