Boots and shift pedal - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Boots and shift pedal

Hi,

So I thought I had the perfect motorcycle boot to wear when I ride my Ninja 500. The brand that I bought had the smallest toe box, so I figured it would fit under my shift pedal. Well, it doesn't. Is there a way to adjust the shift pedal? I wish I could return the shoes, but I wore them around the house to break them in.

Thanks for the help.

Nadine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 07:59 PM

Before you make a big change in the bike setup, try a more aggressive foot position on the bike. Shift your ankle higher and toe downward.

What type of boot did you buy?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 09:02 PM

ya u have to kind of adjust your foot to the shifter. i got new boots recently and the toe is quite large. felt wierd shifting but you'll get used to it. i rarely misshift anymore.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 08:37 AM

You should be able to move the lever itself. If there is no adjustment on the bike, then mark the spline & the gearchange lever with a pencil so you can rotate one way or the other. Remove the possibly 10mm nut at the bottom of the lever & the spline (where thesplit of the lever is snugged up on the gear change spline) also the above, probably 10mm bolt.

Then rotate the lever clockwise or counter clockwise, just a minor bit as the spline will be pretty fine, for the lever's new position, slide the lever back on the spline sort of check the lever's position, without shifting, & if okay then back with the bolt & nut.

Try the shifting & if not satisfactory then do the above again till fully satisfied. It is really quite an easy thing to do.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the assistance. I don't know if I want to move the shift pedal myself. I'll try maneuvering my foot to make it work. The brand that I bought is called Tour Master. There is not too many places where they sell ladies m/c boots where I live. I've been to a few m/c shops and they don't carry ladies boots. I don't like to buy online b/c I have a difficult time buying shoes that fit well...wide feet. This is what happens when you grow up in Hawai'i not wearing shoes, and only open toed slippers.

Nadine
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 03:57 PM

Nadine,

It isn't difficult to do as Smitty explained. It is actually fairly easy. It's much easier than it sounds. If I had my camera with me I would take pics and show you how although you should be able to find someone to take care of it for you. Not sure about your area but most of the bike shops around here would probably help you for nothing on something like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 04:24 PM

RCis so correct. You do not have to buy tools to do it for most m/c tool boxes/bags carry them.

Mind is more complicated for it is with rear-sets on the bike & so I can adjust the bar going from the gear change lever part on the spline out of the gearbox though said shaft adjustment is with left & right handed nuts, but then often I still need to remove said part from the spline because my left ankle is with no flex in it & often at times when I change boots I must make said change & have been knowen to do it in front of a pace I might be having my cuppa & with my more complicated set-up it is only 20 minutes of time at the most.

What you have FIRST time might be a toll of 20 or 30 minutes because you moved it to far or wrong way, reason for the pencil mark on the end of the spline & the lever itself.

Problem with having to grope in tough shifting position can actually means missing gears or possibly to slow in shifting.

Pity Cookee is away on his holiday trip into the States otherwise with a similiar tougher system as on my bikes (yes I have three of them I continue to adjust through the season) he found it to be a piece of cake. Yours is so darn easy most could almost do that with their eyes closed after first adjustment.

Like RC I wish I had the same like a digital camera to show the simpliity of it.

Lastely if the bike was purchased new or 'used' from a dealer good chance anyone there could do said change in a few minutes without charging you a mint.

Last edited by Smitty; 04-01-2006 at 04:27 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 05:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Same problem here, just wore my new SMX-R's for the first time while riding. Adjusted the shift lever and it was a little better but I still have a problem with upshifts. It seems like i'm not moving the shift pedal fully down after I shift and I cannot make another upshift quickly.

Hopefully some more miles will get me fully used to it.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 11:07 AM

bittersweet, it might be that you have the gear change lever up a bit to high & so the foot has to strain to make the shift or you are trying to shift up to fast. Still move it down a hair & that might be the answer.

Fortunately all foot & hand controls can be re-adjusted to the riders personal likes/preferences. Though in my case there is very little rotation in my left ankle, due to so many m/c comp prangs in practicing to actual racing for 42 yrs. So I have to set my gear change lever quite high, very high to that of others & just slide my boot forward to actual LIFT up & not ROTATE up. It also means I slide the boot forward & simply press down when downgearing------so you can see the ankle is not rotated just that bit as required by average riders.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 04:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
I moved the lever just a hair more down then got on the bike for some twisties. At first I was having the same problem but not as bad then by the end of the ride I wasn't missing a shift. Thanks for the advise Smitty!

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."

Last edited by bittersweetryan; 04-04-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode