exhaust leak... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

exhaust leak...

I took a nice ride today since it was in the 70s. Anyhow, when I was leaving a local motorcycle shop, I didn't want to walk the bike backwards and take the 'normal exit' out of the small parking lot. So I decided to hop the curve. Bad idea. The curb was a little higher then I expected and was about a 6 inch drop. When I rolled off the curb my headers hits the curb and scrapes it up a bit. After I started to leave and headed for the road, I notice good amount of loud exhaust leaks coming from the headers. Now my question is, is there an easy to the leaks? Some sort of exhuast goup or something to seal it? The leaks come from where the headers bolt onto the block.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 12:45 PM

haha, I've done the exact same thing on my last bike, except mine leaked at the collector...

Get a new set of exhaust gaskets (copper rings) take off your collector and replace all the gaskets. When you do, tighten lightly (just enough to crush the gasket) then start the bike, warm it all the way up, let it cool and re-tighten everything.

Dont let the leak go. the closer it is the head the greater the chance that when you turn the bike off the cold air will enter the exhaust and hit the very hot valves and f*ck them up beyound belief.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash

Get a new set of exhaust gaskets (copper rings) take off your collector and replace all the gaskets. When you do, tighten lightly (just enough to crush the gasket) then start the bike, warm it all the way up, let it cool and re-tighten everything.

Dont let the leak go. the closer it is the head the greater the chance that when you turn the bike off the cold air will enter the exhaust and hit the very hot valves and f*ck them up beyound belief.

+1

-M-

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

k, going to the local honda dealership to pick up new gaskets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode