Chase Video - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Chase Video

linky
Entertaining vid. Shows what a sportbike can do.

You gotta love the way over-hyperbolized commentary.
Quote:
Police watch in disbelief as the suspect barely squeezes between motorists... Unbelievably, he tries the insane move again... and again
All this being said as the guy splits between two cars with plenty of space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 03:55 AM

yeah, as squidly as it sounds, if ur gonna split between a car and a semi u might wanna do it faster so u don't have to be inbetween them longer than necessary, but jeez, at that speed... I can't even imagine what would happen from the slightest error. I've seen the vid before, the dude doesn't rlly look like he's wearing any gear either, aside from possibly a helmet.

What someone needs to do is find all the police chase videos w/ people who successfully run away from the cops and air that. I know it sends the wrong message out to people, but the dude that comments on that show annoys the crap out of me w/ some of his comments and I feel he overstates police superiority to the point of being arrogant. That arrogant tone can be as annoying as Fran Drescher's voice... but not as bad as David Caruso and his retarded one liners.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 06:06 AM

What a dumb ass. Not that I advocate running from the cops, but if you are going to, use a few braincells. This guys escape plan seemed to have been "I'm going to go real fast".

Great, he's got the power to outruna crown vic. Now what?
First a heli top speed is around 140mph. But the can travel in streight lines, which means you cant really get away from it.
But that doesnt mean he cant loose one. A long tunnel, in which he can turn around would work great. As would getting close to an airport, where a heli cant follow. If all else fails just pull up to the local sportbike hangout. They cant really tell which is which.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Vash: Look at it this way. He didn't go out riding that day to escape from the cops. It was an unplanned pursuit. A very likely situation that he was in was that he had incriminating evidence on him (like pot, or a suspended license, or something), and he just took a risk going out riding. When a cop tried to stop him (for whatever coincidential reason), he ran. Probably a spur-of-the-moment decision with no prior thought put into it. Now, he's on a bike... riding extra fast, knowing the cops are on his ass. I don't know about you, but I'd be nervous as shit! My brain would be in the fight-or-flight mode (flight, obviously), and no rational reasoning would be going on. Some people just do good under pressure, others don't. He probably just didn't.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 07:16 AM

Hi All-

Depending on how fast the vehicle-based officers could arrive, his strategy could have been to pull into a mall with a huge, multi-level covered parking deck. Put the motorcycle on the kickstand, toss the helmet in the garbage, and go shopping for new clothes!

~ Blue Jays ~
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 07:22 AM

Hi All-

Something else just occured to me...how much did this pursuit cost the taxpayers in terms of multiple helicopter expense, officer salaries + overtime, vehicle wear, gasoline, and increased risk to public safety?

I don't know what his crime was...but it better have been murder, attempted murder, or something else pretty darn serious because I'm thinking we just witnessed about $10,000 being spent on this apprehension.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 07:45 AM

lateott:
There are no planned persuits. No one wakes one morning and decides to run from the cops. Those things just happen. Once again, the best course of action is to stop. But since the guy made the decision to run for it, there is no reason he couldnt have made a better effort at it.

Bluey1: The large mall trick has been tried fairly recently. They found the guys bike, traced it to him, and he went to jail. I guess the real question is wether or not they had his plates (which he had no real way of knowing).

Bluey2: Trying to put a pricetag on all this is an exercise in politics. I can put enough indirect costs onto this expirience to come up with the national dept. For example count the crimes that could've been stopped if the officers were not involved in persuit. Count the labor lost by the people who got stuck in traffic due to this persuit. It makes for some pretty words, but its a bunch of crap if you ask my opinion. The heli was already in the air, and would've been patrolling anyway, so how can you count its gas and maintanance, Unless you go so far as to say that if people wouldnt break the law the city would not need a heli... but thats pretty thin...

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 08:52 AM

Hi Vash-

If a bad situation can be resolved by going shopping, it's a good thing! Maybe I was just looking for an excuse to have a mall being part of the solution.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 08:55 AM

My oh my bluey, we dont often get to see that girly side of you.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 09:11 AM

The guy was running with a passenger!?!? Wonder if that person got away?

The guy should of went into the hospital and just sat in the waiting room reading a magazine. After ditching the helmet of course.

-M-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode