time to replace chain? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

time to replace chain?

hey well my mark on the swingarm is just at the mark that says to replace the chain....how far past that mark is ok?

also any1 have those coloured chains? does the colour last?

and any1 have a place that has decent chains 4 sale? (coloured or not)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 06:24 PM

If the chain is in good condition, why not just pull a link or three rather than replacing the whole chain?

Sepias
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

so does the chain stretch as u use it? thats what i thought cause u move the adjuster further apart. if thats the case wouldnt if b dangerous just removing a link or two?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 05:09 AM

If ya can get the chain off. Hold it off the ground and swing it from side to side. Any more than 2 or 3 inches of "swing" the chain is shot. 10,000 miles (if that) is usually my max. If you replace the chain you should also replace both sprockets. I usually don't though. About 2 or 3 chains per sprocket. The stretch is caused by every links shaft and hole wearing. That is where the side play comes from. as the chain wears it "stretches" and the links get sloppy on the sprockets causing even more wear, specially to the sprockets. If you change your chain more often the sprockets will last longer.

A few ccs short of a full litre.

Last edited by mac020; 03-30-2006 at 05:25 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
If the chain is in good condition, why not just pull a link or three rather than replacing the whole chain?

Sepias

If you are suicidal, go ahead and do that.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 10:38 AM

Hmm I guess I was off on that one Is it ever safe to remove links? Ive been told that pulling links is a good thing to tighten the chain... I guess I was told wrong?

Sepias
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 10:47 AM

As said earlier, the chain stretches because the holes in the side plate deform around the pins. If you pull links out, you deform the holes even more, and sooner or later one of them will snap out.
Now consider that the considerably horsepower of the engine is transfered enterly thru the chain. If the chain snaps it will fling off at a very high rate of speed, and should it hit your leg, its going to cause some very serious injuries. I'd rather armor all my tires than pull links out of the chain.

To anyone else reading this: DO NOT ARMOR ALL YOUR TIRES.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 10:52 AM

SepiasSoul it is not advisable to chop off a link or two of a woren chain with modern bike as of mid-80s & on.

Also another small test Meat is have the bike in neutral & if you can pull some of the chain away from the rear part of the rear sprocket like 1/2 way up the teeth then YES time to put on a new chain. Sprockets might be advisable. Some let chains go till 2nd change though in honesty it is best to do each time.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks guys, my sprockets look like there in good condition, i think next chain i will get new sprockets and go up and down on the teeth.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 01:17 PM

Chain/sprockets

If a worn out chain will prematurely wear out sprockets, does it stand to reason that worn out sprockets will prematurely wear out a new chain? I would think so, but I don't know for sure.

I wouldn't want to put a brand new $100+ chain on a set of old sprockets, especially when a new set of sprockets only costs about $45. I always replace chain and sprockets together. Besides, why wait for another 10,000+ miles for a gearing change you want to do? Do it now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode