Am I getting ripped off? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Am I getting ripped off?

Hey guys, haven't posted in here for a while but just wanted to ask a couple of questions.

I got my first bike as an SV650S about 8 or so months ago. I'm now buying a new bike which is going to be a Honda CBR600RR.

My SV650S is a 2005 (I was original owner) 6200 miles, and good condition. I set my goal of getting at least $4800 for the bike if I trade in or sell it on ebay.

So here's the situation and my question; I went to go deal with a guy and everything was going well. He made it sound like $4800 was a done deal (he was even like "do you want to do it today?" so I figure he was pretty eager) and I told him I had to call my dad (he's helping me with this bike) and make sure everything was alright. When I came back we still were talking about it but than he says "well my boss just told me the blue book value of the bike is $3500."(BS) I told him that's too low and that I can't settle for less than $4800. BTW, I'm paying with cash, and the SV650S is completely paid for, so no hassle for them. SO, $3500 seems WAY to low for my bike. Less than a year old and 6200 miles and it's worth almost less than half of it's MSRP. Am I getting ripped off?

Thanks, really need some help on this. Oh and there open house which gives 5-30% off all used and new motorcycles (depends on which motorcycle, new ones are most likely 5%) is this weekend, so that should be in my favor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:46 AM

Yes. NADA is 5,050. Rough Trade in is 3800. Tell that guy to go fuck himself.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by psudy
Yes. NADA is 5,050. Rough Trade in is 3800. Tell that guy to go fuck himself.

thought so, thanks dude. But a couple of questions. What's NADA and based on what I said above, is $4800 for the trade in (which is to be used to buy the HondaCBR600RR) too much?

oh and btw. I have 5% sales tax where I live. When we were calculating the freight, tax, MVA driver fee thing, and all that jazz, the original MSRP of 9,000 for the CBR turned into $10,500 after all that stuff. This seemed high but I wasn't sure, anyone know?

Last edited by TMH213; 03-29-2006 at 11:57 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 12:04 PM

Then sell it on your own only you will have a bit of a time with people wanting to test riding it, possibly dropping it, or not comming back & good-buy to your bike plus their cheque might not work.

You are dealing with a dealer & he is giving you close to trade-in figure of $3,800.00 for your bike.

You think you tax is high well it is 17% here & they also charge you a special additional tax on tyres, battery & such. Also the Cdn doller is not up to par of the USA YET it was back around '57 & '58 being Cdn dollar was costing an American $1.04 so we swamped American dollars for Cdn dollars even when they bought from our Cdn stores.

Last edited by Smitty; 03-29-2006 at 04:06 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 01:02 PM

Clean Trade in on your bike is $4105. I would try and sell it out right. Hell even 4300 is better than 4100. Don't, and I mean do not let people test ride your bike unless you have CASH in hand. Make up an agreement that states by test driving this bike, I take full responsibility for the bike. If ANY damage is incurred upon my riding, sitting, or foundling it, I understand that I have purchased the motorcycle for X amount, and that I cannot hold the seller responsible for any liability while riding said motorcycle.
Or something along those lines, and make sure they have a licence. Usually that will kill a test ride right there. Offer to ride the bike up and down your street for them. Good luck.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 01:03 PM

and 10,500 is high for a cbr 600. I can buy a new zx10r for that.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by TMH213
oh and btw. I have 5% sales tax where I live. When we were calculating the freight, tax, MVA driver fee thing, and all that jazz, the original MSRP of 9,000 for the CBR turned into $10,500 after all that stuff. This seemed high but I wasn't sure, anyone know?
I'm with psudy on the first one.

The cost for a new one varies somewhat (generally speaking), so look up all dealers in an acceptable range and work them. Figure out who'll be the best ones to work face-to-face by either calling and talking to a salesperson or emailing back and forth to see where there's give. The final deals are done in person with cash in hand.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by psudy
and 10,500 is high for a cbr 600. I can buy a new zx10r for that.

+1

I got my 1000RR for 10.9 OTD.

-M-
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 02:51 PM

Shit, I got my 04 CBR 600RR for 2 grand. My view now is that its cheaper to buy semi wrecked bikes then to get crisp new ones.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

awesome thanks guys, I don't think im gonna sell it to the dealer. gonna give ebay a shot and see if anyone wants it there. Before I do, if anyone is interesed in a 2005 SV650S with 6236 miles and good condition let me know

BTW, mstrand_68, that seems like a great deal. Was it during the winter time or did you get lucky or what? It goes for $11,300 before tax,tags, and title! awesome deal !

Last edited by TMH213; 03-29-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode