Vtr1000 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Vtr1000

Does anyone have experience with VTR1000?

Here's the story (HEY everyone, haven't been here for 3 months)-
I am getting tired of power curve of F4 or 600s in general, the power isn't usable in the street, unless I stick to 2nd gear and high rpms everywhere I go. My teeth begins to chatter, and everything on the bike vibrates quite a bit, not worrisome but annoying. Is it really necessary for me to maintain 80 mph to get any power - rhetorical question.

So I'd like to switch back to twins, I had a SV650, but the top end speed was lacking, 1st gear running out of steam at 30 mph.

None of my choices can be Ducs for financial reasons. My current F4 is a perfect ride as far as maintenance and reliability goes, 11K miles, and cam chain tensioner is still fine.

I narrowed down my choices to Japanese twins:

I heard mixed reviews about the SV1000S. Other than HP difference, would VTR be a better bike handling wise?

I am not considering TLS or TLR because they had the suspension problem and overall large in stature, looking for as SV-like as possible. I thought of RC51, but I don't think it would be practical as a street bike if I don't take it to a track every month, also still it has little more power than I am used to.

I left 750/1000 out because I'm really not looking forward to some of the extra power tantrums.

AI'm looking for that twin that handles as close to my previous SV or 99 F4. I really would've liked a 748 or 900ss, but they're Ducs.

I'm going to keep the F4 for track days.

No, I'm not power hungry squid, just need a little more torque I suppose, it would be great if the SV and F4 had mated.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 09:55 PM

You cant go wrong with the rc51.
I've heard mostly good stuff from the SV1000.
I ride a Tillis and have no problem what so ever. There are some small stuff like the leaking clutch cover and the thermostat on the '97 model.
I will advise you to just go and test drive a Tillis or Tiller.

Good luck with your choice
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 09:58 PM

Look at this site:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/97twins2.html

Hope this will help you

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

I haven't really ruled any of that out yet, as we know we have very limited selection on Japanese twins. How's that rear damper in the older TLS/R, I heard they leaked oil and the FI was glitchy?? Handling? Better than Busa I hope .

edit; yeah, that's the place I go to check up on older bikes, I read that article before as well as the Twins shootout against the 916 SPS. Good stuff, although I don't hang on to journalists every word though, that's why I decided to ask the owners. Plus TLS got a pretty bad rep on those reviews.

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 03-29-2006 at 12:09 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 12:24 AM

The rotary damper works just fine (little sqeeuqy at times), but I'm not racing with the bike. They say if you mount a after market piece like a bitibo and get some magnesium wheels the handling is right up there with most of the newer bikes.

I,ve talked to a few guys who bought a TLR after having a 600 and they say it feels like a truck.

The clutch cover do leak oil but from what I've heard its mostly on the '97 models. Yeah, the Tillis got some small problems (like shocks seal that are leaking but nothing you cant fix) but I promise you will get a grin everytime you open the throttle and feel all the torque and the sweet sound.

There is also many different kind of mods for the TLS and TLR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode