The best 35 bucks I've ever spent - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

The best 35 bucks I've ever spent

Took my bike yesterday to a shop in the area. Washington Cycle Works in Washington township. They setup my suspension for me. The difference in the handling is like night and day...Vastly improved...and all for $35. After they finished setting up the bike they sent me down this winding, twisty country road to test ride it. Oh yeah, like I actually wanted to go back This is something I wanted to get done for a while, but never got around to it for one reason or another. I would highly reccomend to have your bike setup if you want to improve your ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 08:21 AM

its the first thing i do when i get a new bike and i usually wind up trying some new settings after i get familer with the bike. the adjustments are in your owners manuel, the hardest thing is identifying what the "real world " on the highway effect is of changing each adjustment. i gotta agree it is probably the best time, or money spent on a bike. glad to hear you were happy with the shops service.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 12:01 PM

One important thing to do is put down info on paper as to the moves of all your settings & which way like clock-wise or counter-clock-wise. In some cases also go down to bottom then count them to factory setting & with that you can go back to stock settings again if you so wish.

There is far, far more to it, but the above makes it simple & you will not be lost as to what you have done the past few times. NOTHING like no records & you still going the wrong way when you think it is the other way.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 01:54 AM

Do you know what exactly they did? Loosen it up a bit from stock? Decrease compression in the front, back? Decrease ride height?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 04:17 PM

From the thread title, I was half expecting you to tell us you went down and got a lap-dance or something. Congrats on the setup. Enjoy it, just don't crash it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

I know they adjusted the front and rear sag according to my wieght Stiffened up the front end...less dive when I apply the brakes. I have to wait till they open next week to get the exact #s as to the changes that were made. They keep a log of changes that they make on customers' bikes.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 06:31 PM

im almost 300lbs and I just got the 06 zx6r...think i should have my suspension tuned? to stiffen it a little because of my weight?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by fauzt0
im almost 300lbs and I just got the 06 zx6r...think i should have my suspension tuned? to stiffen it a little because of my weight?
Most definently
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:57 AM

where would I go to do that? Or can I do it myself?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 11:31 AM

You can do it yourself. Your owner's manual explains how to change the preload. As Smitty said, just remember to write down where you start and how many turns you move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode