G'day I'm Back & Looking for bigger bike. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

G'day I'm Back & Looking for bigger bike.

How are you all? hope we haven't lost any riders, works been so busy I haven't been able to post anything.
Anyway it's been 13mths since I bought the ninja 250 and it's time to upgrade, Any ideas? I'm after a new sports bike 600 maybe even 1000.
I'm going to be commuting 80 miles a day on it however comfort isn't a must as my arse has plenty of padding.
Was thinking Maybe, ZX-636, GSXR600 or even an R1, the new R6 is looking a little......bare......plasticy(is that a word?) not sure if I like it.
Any help would be great.
Thanks guys 'n gals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 03:35 PM

Re: G'day I'm Back & Looking for bigger bike.

Quote:
Originally posted by rooboy
How are you all? hope we haven't lost any riders, works been so busy I haven't been able to post anything.
Anyway it's been 13mths since I bought the ninja 250 and it's time to upgrade, Any ideas? I'm after a new sports bike 600 maybe even 1000.
I'm going to be commuting 80 miles a day on it however comfort isn't a must as my arse has plenty of padding.
Was thinking Maybe, ZX-636, GSXR600 or even an R1, the new R6 is looking a little......bare......plasticy(is that a word?) not sure if I like it.
Any help would be great.
Thanks guys 'n gals.
An R1 would be a BIG step up, make sure you are ready to handle it. Just check out the bikes your interested in and try to test drive a couple if you have access.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 04:03 PM

whats your price range? weight? height? I'd say look into a zx-636 or gixxer 600's, but I don't like the look of the 06 gixxers. 600RR's are lacking value in my view unless you can find an insanely good deal.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JBaz
whats your price range? weight? height?
Being from Australia prices may be a bit different but not an issue as I'll just finance the rest.
Weight 240lbs. Height 6ft.
That's my only problem with the 600's is that they are getting so small, thats why I was thinking R1 but the power thing holds me back, I ride like a sensible dickhead now, I'll probably end up a dead dickhead on an R1, don't get me wrong I ride to suite conditions(can't help it if conditions are always so damn good).
And I have had some experience on a 600(ZZR often up to the red).
Thanks for the advice Dan6615 will try a couple of bikes in the next couple of weeks.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:01 PM

Rooboy, the 600's really aren't smaller than the litre bikes. They only weigh about 20lbs less, and have almost identical ergos. Going from a 250 to a R1 is HUGE. Not trying to talk you out of it, just keep in mind size shouldn't be an issue.

If you're too cramped on a race-rep, there's a lot of other sporty bikes out there that may fit you better. For one, the VFR is a sweet bike!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:17 AM

If ergo's are an issue, what about some of the naked bikes like the FZ1 or they still have the FZ6 too. I believe most of the manufacterers have a middle weight and litre naked bike. I also would consider a Honda CBR 600F4i. I've owned one and they are great bikes. I'm only 5'10" and weigh 205 and that litttle 600 had no problem thrashing me through the corners and the seat is VERY nice compared to any other sportbike. We have to ride 55 miles to get to the twisties where I live and the F4i handled that with no problem. In fact I'd try to switch with my wife and give her my 600RR cause it had a brick for a seat. She only fell for that once

+1 on the VFR too. Awsome bike that has available luggage for longer trips!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:36 AM

You are making a mistake if you go from a 250 to an R1. They don't even compare. Consider that if you give a little to much throttle in a corner, the rear wheel will spin and put you on your ass. I just went from an R6 to a zx12r, and its like learning how to ride all over again. Shit happens so much quicker, the bike is heavier, and the brakes are a lot touchier.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by psudy
You are making a mistake if you go from a 250 to an R1. They don't even compare. Consider that if you give a little to much throttle in a corner, the rear wheel will spin and put you on your ass. I just went from an R6 to a zx12r, and its like learning how to ride all over again. Shit happens so much quicker, the bike is heavier, and the brakes are a lot touchier.
You're right. Even going from my carb'd Katana 600 to my fuel injected, tourquier VFR 800, it took me a little while to get decent throttle control. And that jump is nowhere CLOSE to going from a 250 to R1. You're talking a HP increase from 30 to 150+!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 02:53 PM

Yeah, when I made the switch from carbed 600 to FI 600, man, lot more explosive powerband and then I flipped the bike. hehe.

Anyhow, what is your area like? Lots of straights? City? curves? good paved roads or crappy ones? I'd say get a 600. Just as fast acceleration as liter bikes and an easier learning curve when leaning. Even though you can lean with the 250, but even then, it has its limits.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up thanks Guys

Thanks for all the advice guys, think I'll leave the R1 out of the picture at the moment and go with a 600 although I like the nakeds "xtreme1k" like the FZ1 and FZ6 but prefer the fully faired sport bikes, Sat on a ZX636 today when I took my bike in for a service and it felt good, I like the riding position, the only problem was it's a bit hard to see the Instruments panel.
JBaz the roads I'll be taking are varied if I'm in a hurry I'll go the freeway Straight in to town, but if I feel like a bit of a ride I'll go via the hills route(some of the best roads in South Australia) Twisties, Sweepers, Great surface, it's 40 miles from the city so not much traffic in and it's easy to overtake.
And I love the VFR800 but not sure about the linked brakes, I use the back brake a lot when going hot into a corner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode