how to convice the parents? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

how to convince the parents?

What up, Im a freshman in college, who in HS saved up enough money to buy a bike. Im trying to get a Ninja 500 or maybe a bandit or seca if I cant find a 500. Problem is my parents hate the idea of me getting a bike cause they think I will kill myself. Im going about this in all the right ways, Ive signed up for the MSF in May (which they tell me to cancle, asap). Plan on getting the gear and all that jazz.

I tried to tell them all the staticis and that bikes arn't that bad and they get a negative sterotype. They still refuse the idea, and Im running out of ways to convice them. And I have a cage btw, no ticketts or accidents so far. I do live in heavy traffic area, Northern VA. Heavy during rush hr, not too bad through out day.

Any help or ideas would be good.

Last edited by Quentin; 03-19-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 07:23 PM

I have one question: do you still live with your parents? If you dont I cant understand why you dont get one, theyll get over it shortly.

If you do still live with your parents just try to explain how fuel efficient bikes are, how cheap insurance is on them, how you will drive with awarness, etc. Also how angry will they be if you just buy one and show up to your house with it, will they just live with it? Or you could do what I did and buy a bike 1 month after I moved out!

A note to all parents....do not tell your kid "as soon as you move out you can get yourself a bike, until then you cant get one" because they will, as soon as they move out!
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

I live w/them. I'm only 18 and don't plan on moving until I graduate around 21ish. Umm I told them what if I bring onehome and they said they would stop helping me for college...

They also implied after I move out I can get one, but that is many years away.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 07:55 PM

I would try to ease them into the whole concept of you getting a motorcycle. First of all I would take them with you to a MSF class. Hell, sign them up with you and they just might decide to buy a bike themselves.

If they can get past the perception that bikes=bad, then the rest of the process will be easier. Since they are helping you through college a confrontation/conflict is not in your best interest.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 08:00 PM

What about trying the approach that after you do graduate and move out youre going to get a bike any way, so you should get as much practice in as you can? Far shot I know, but worth the try!
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 08:02 PM

It took me 3 years to convince my parents. I started off saying let me "just take the MSF course, I mean who knows I may not even like riding" (I also worked on the more leaniant of the two first) After the MSF course I told them I would pay for EVERYTHING bike, insurance, gas the whole bit. It took a while but they eventually gave in. It wasn't an easy process, I just took my time and they finally went for it. I also did the "If I cant get one now, Ill just get one as soon as I move out." and that helped a bit too (they dont want to hire a house sitter for the animals when they go outta town) You can also try bringing them down to the MSF place and have them talk with the instructors their. They are, usually, nice and good at convincing people. Good luck with it, and dont give up. Keep up the pressure, they will crack.

Sepias
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 06:02 AM

Heh, I've wanted a motorcycle since I was young. I never had a car in High School, so when I got to college, I got my first car and hated it. So the first year of college I saved up enough money to get a bike and told my parents that I would get one with or without their permission (I was 19 at the time). Instead of being shut out, they decided to support me minus the money. It took about 6 months for them to come around and do that as most parents will threaten you till you give up, but I didn't give up.

So in may 2005, I got my first bike, a honda 1994 cbr600 f2. I still love it till this very day. It hasn't been a year yet and I've already aquired 3 bikes and love every minute of riding, rain or dry, cold or hot. It beats being a cager and much cheaper then having a car.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 07:54 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Waiting until you are supporting yourself is not a big deal. I didn't start riding until I was 22 when I bought a bike as a college graduation present to myself. The bottom line is that if they support you financially then you need to respect their rules. Once you're on your own, do what you want.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 08:00 AM

Or you could always call their bluff... would they really want their kid growing up without a college education?

Whatever you end up doing, dont listen to me...

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

I'll think on all of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode