R6 electrical problems! (long) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to RyPkr_99
R6 electrical problems! (long)

I've had my 02 R6 for about 2k miles now and it's been great. But now I got some problems.

I posted a couple days ago about my headlights going out, and just as everyone suggested it was the fuse. Well right after I replaced the fuse I went out for a ride, and this is where stuff gets FREAKY.

About a mile out I was cold so I pulled over to snap the coller tight on my jacket. When I went to start my bike it wouldn't crank. I tried a few times but figured since I was on a hill I'd just coast start it and stop on a hill later and try again. So I rode for about 45 minutes or so then was at a redlight on a steep down hill. So I cut the engine so if it wouldnt start I could coast it again. But this time it started, so I figured it was just a fluke and continued on my long ass trip.

Everything was good until I'm about 2 hours from home on a back country road in 5th gear at 13,000rpms. BAM! rev limiter! I look down and no, it completely shut off... POP I let the clutch back out and it started itself back up... that was bizarre. I now notice that my low fuel light has come on so about 5 miles down the road I stop for gas. First thing I notice is I only put about 2 gallons in, which isn't enough for the light to come on.

After fueling I turn the key to on and get NOTHING. No headlights, no display, just as if it were off. I push it away from the pump and take off the seat to check my fuses... all are good. eventually I recruit some guys standing around to push me to try and start it. To my doubtful suprise it started right up. But now things are getting goofier. I have it it neutral sitting in the parking lot and my spedometer is going crazy. Jumping from 25-72-31-18-54 etc, it wouldn't stop. I also notice that my low fuel light is still on.

With no other choice I turn around and head straight for home. The spedometer would read my speed when I had about 1/4 or more of the throttle cranked open accelerating. But if I was just cruising with less than a 1/4 it would jump sporatically again. Finally I make it home and park for the night.

Today I went out and tore it all apart. I had the right mid fairing off, the tank off, the seat off trying to trace all the wire from the igintion the best I could. I couldn't find a loose one ANYWHERE. I tried hooking jumper cables too it but it appears the battery is still fine. I re-checked all the fuses and can't find anything anywhere.

Anybody got anything for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 12:39 PM

Re: R6 electrical problems! (long)

Quote:
Originally posted by RyPkr_99

Anybody got anything for me?
Step 1. Get an old priest and a young priest.

Step 2. Perform an exorcism.

Seriously though, that is pretty messed up. From the sounds of it your bike's brain is confused. Take out the headlight fuse that you replaced prior to the bizzare events. If the problem goes away you can at least start to isolate the problem. A short circuit with the headlights maybe?

BTW I would suggest that you not ride the bike with these problems occuring. An accident awaits. Good luck and keep us posted.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 01:15 PM

My girlfriends mom used to have a van that started going crazy with the spedo flying all over and the lights flickering. Turns out the alernator was going on it, so perhaps the motorcycle stator or other part of what generates power on teh bike is going. However after reading the MOM for my bike it says that the electrical system has some sensor so that if one type of problem occurs, the tac will read 3000 rpm, then 0, then the regular, and i think it keeps doing that. If a different type of problem occurs the tac will read 8000 rpm, then 0, then the current. Perhaps the bike is trying to tell you something .

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 01:21 PM

Thats alot of symptoms. Can you find and test the voltage coming right from the regulator. Disconnect where it feeds the rest of the bike circuits and put a meter on it. Maybe the magic smoke got out of the voltage regulator.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

And now it has contracted new symptoms. I'm pretty much addicted to riding so I took it out for a ride anyhow today. After coasting it down a hill and starting it up the tach stopped working too. It just sat there at 0rpms. Then I I'd rev it up and it would flicker to like 3000 or something and drop real quick to zero when I closed the throttle. But after about 5 minutes of riding it was working fine. My odometer is also racking up the miles like a mad man, seemingly 3 or 4 times faster than what I'm actually putting on it. The engine temp gauge seems to be about the only thing that hasn't F'd up yet.

This could probably be deduced from my original post but it is just now occuring to me: when I stop the bike and hit the engine kill switch I IMMEDIATELY lose all power. So this means the only power the bike gets is from the generator and it can't get any juice from the bat. I tried putting the jumper cables on the battery earlier today but it didn't give me any juice. So I'm thinking I have a problem between the battery and the ignition, display, etc.

I just don't know if that problem would cause all my wierd symptons. Could the generator be supplying a different voltage than what is needed to run these accesories and therefore be causes them to read ackwardly?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 02:52 PM

It could be that the way your bike is wired is that the stator charges the battery and is not connected to anything else. If you battery is bad then that would account for your electronics only working when the engine is running. The stator may not be putting out enough power to keep everything running as your going as well which could result in the odd readings from your bike. I may be completely off in my diagnosis but in any case I think everyone would agree to get your battery checked out first. If its not working then its atleast a place to start. Take it down to your local auto store and have them test it and replace it if necessary. I would also reccomend getting a battery tender just to help keep it at its best. I have one and use it more than I thought I would. Good luck with it.

Sepias
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
It could be that the way your bike is wired is that the stator charges the battery and is not connected to anything else. If you battery is bad then that would account for your electronics only working when the engine is running. The stator may not be putting out enough power to keep everything running as your going as well which could result in the odd readings from your bike. I may be completely off in my diagnosis but in any case I think everyone would agree to get your battery checked out first. If its not working then its atleast a place to start. Take it down to your local auto store and have them test it and replace it if necessary. I would also reccomend getting a battery tender just to help keep it at its best. I have one and use it more than I thought I would. Good luck with it.

Sepias
I tried jumping it today but I guess it couldn't hurt to run it over to advance and have them check it...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 03:54 PM

Batterys at a certain age will stop holding charges which is what I think is going on. You might also check the fluid levels in your battery. Most batterys have a little cap you can lift off to check the levels. If it looks low poor some distilled water in with it, be carfeul though that shit burns badly. Wear eye protection when you do this. Good luck,
Sepias
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 04:21 PM

All signs are leading to the battery section. Check the fluid level of the battery, check the terminals, like are they loose or are they corroded.

Do you have a Battery Tender (this is a trade name but the cats meow to small batteries & a must to everyone with an electric starting m/c---it only charges 1.25 amps showiing red light that it is charging & once up to snuff it will read red & that is the battery is on Charge) for it is the best $35.00 you will have spent.

Mind your battery could have been abused & possibly it cannot hold a charge. Still everything you have said points to battery trouble.

Actually a battery should give you 5 to 6 yrs of life if properly serviced only if not then its life will be short & that is not a pun but a fact.

You will find the largest drain on the battery is STARTING & if you just make short runs well that is a lot of battery power use. If you ride the bike short runs on low revs then again the charging system is not given a chance. No matter what if your battery has not been properly serviced it is sort of like not putting the oil in it or fuel in the tank ------ the bike starts to give problems like beaking down with lack of fuel or damage to the other partrs of the bike.

Last edited by Smitty; 03-19-2006 at 04:24 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
All signs are leading to the battery section. Check the fluid level of the battery, check the terminals, like are they loose or are they corroded.

Do you have a Battery Tender (this is a trade name but the cats meow to small batteries & a must to everyone with an electric starting m/c---it only charges 1.25 amps showiing red light that it is charging & once up to snuff it will read red & that is the battery is on Charge) for it is the best $35.00 you will have spent.

Mind your battery could have been abused & possibly it cannot hold a charge. Still everything you have said points to battery trouble.

Actually a battery should give you 5 to 6 yrs of life if properly serviced only if not then its life will be short & that is not a pun but a fact.

You will find the largest drain on the battery is STARTING & if you just make short runs well that is a lot of battery power use. If you ride the bike short runs on low revs then again the charging system is not given a chance. No matter what if your battery has not been properly serviced it is sort of like not putting the oil in it or fuel in the tank ------ the bike starts to give problems like beaking down with lack of fuel or damage to the other partrs of the bike.
I trust your opinions and am now definetly going to get my battery checked tomorrow... I hope that's all it is.

But would you think when I had the jumper cables connected to my truck battery it would then boot up my display? That battery is brand new 2 months ago... I know it's got the juice to give me some lights and whatnot...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode