Latest maintanance fiasco - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Latest maintanance fiasco

Its friday night and I'm out to change a rear tire. The group ride is saturday... so I got the bike on the rear stand, about the break the axle nut, which is really really tight. Now the stand I got is the flat kind, not the bobbin kind, it worked fine on the z1000 (which had a flat swingarm) but not so well on the funky shaped zx10 arm...
My roommate is right beside me and I'm contemplating asking him to steady the front... but I dont.
The nut wont let go, so I put everything I got into that wrench, and end up lifting the rear end of the bike. As soon as this happend, the stand slips, and the bike goes over. My roomies bike is parked right beside it, so I'm watching in slow motion as my bike is falling on top of his, wondering how much HD is going to charge me for the tank I'm about to have to buy for his sportster....
Luckily, my bike stops inches from him because the rear stand gets jammed into the muffler. Puts a small dent in the muffler, which is not big deal. The day is saved right?
Wrong.
As you might guess the muffler is not meant as a device to hold the entire weight of the bike, thus the rear mount (the passenger rear set) breaks. I dont notice any of this.
Next day I'm out on the ride did about 50 miles, the last 20 pretty bumpy. We stop for a break, and I realize that the unsupported muffler swung around the exhaust pipe, and is rubbing and melting my brand new tire (hasnt gotten very far in melting it, just got rid of the chicken strip). But I'm about 50 miles away from anywhere, and no one of the crew has any zip ties (where are those stunt guys when you need them?) so the whole crew spreads out to find something which can be used for a temprary repair...
Luckily this being texas and all, bailing wire is quickly found... so off I got to tie the muffler to whats left of the rearset... in other words I'm fixing a high tech collection of die cast aluminum and titanium with bailing wire...
the words "you might be a redneck if" go thru my mind....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 08:19 AM

OK 1st thing is: Your room mate has a sporster?!?! Very sad.

From reading all your posts about your bike and the pics i've seen I have come to this: Being an intelligent russian guy with a nice new bike - texas has got ahold of you. You painted an '05 ZX10 with "truck bed liner" and now you are holding pieces on with bailing wire.

Now I have been trying to come up with something like-- "You can take the girl out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the girl." -- to fit your situation, but can't come up with anything.

We are on the same page when it comes to the show and shine side of bikes. All my buddies are saying I should get new plastic to make my bike look new again. I'm like no way, then I will be pissed if I scratch it and won't ride it the way I want to. Except for the shattered wrist I'm kinda glad I put her down early.

Nice work ya damn hick!

-M-
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Ya 'reckon this place is getting to me?
The bailing wire thing was temporary.. Its all getting welded back together.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 08:33 AM
jab

That sucks. Ive got a yosh full system on my bike and have laid it down a few times without sliders and the pipe has saved my bike every time, the pipe is a little lighter than when i bought it, but is still sturdy. Why the hell would you paint a brand new bike with bed liner hahaha, get a cage
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jab
get a cage
Got one. Bedliner is cheap, looks good, and easy to repair.

Last edited by Vash; 03-15-2006 at 09:16 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 09:04 AM
Some days are like this.

Vash, you crack me up! Bailing wire.. *snicker*

I am glad that all is well though, and there were no further mishaps for you.

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 12:56 PM

Sort of know what you mean. When working on the '00 Honda 929 a few yrs ago again with flat pads, now remember the Honda once up tens to the right side as the swinging arm lower part is a bit different then the other arm though changed in the 954 & 1000.

Suddenly when both pads were starting to do their job the rear end slipped off to come down on the rear tyre & with prop stand down & front end turned to the left------the bike ended up on prop stand & wheels.

Okay first fright so this happened four more times & that is when I called it quits for the day for all I wanted to do was lube the chain & check it closer, to possibly be adjusted in the morning. After all my blood pressure had probably shot to an all time high for FIVE times with the same fright of the bike about to land on its side was a bit to much. At least only other bikes are mine & they are in the garage for I do this just a bike distant outside of the garage. At least I do not have a ruddy HD owned by someone else & that close to my bike.

Then realized the rubber had woren off the pads so traction was not there & being a make shift guy I had use normal hockey stick tape & with umpteen times of use it was becomming sort of slitherary (said invented word means "slippery"). Answer was tear off the hockey stick tape & put on some new tape.

I think I will have to find some place that handles the skate boards & obtain a bit of their material & bond it to where there use to be rubber. Mined you I have a lot of sandpapers & other material so I might bond that on with Wellbond.

As for the use of bailing wire, well anything will do & often I have used old barb-wire after all pretty commong stuff in our farming & ranch areas like said state of Texas & my ex-Alberta & present B.C. Provinces. Sounds sensible to me.

Last edited by Smitty; 03-15-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode